Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowest temperature for C-41 / E-6 cross-processing?

Lowest temperature for C-41 / E-6 cross-processing?

I am about to do a lot of hand colour processing, basically E6 and C41, I want to cross process colour neg in E6 material, and I also want to solarize colour neg and E6, so as you can imagine colour accuracy is not my goal. I would love to do it at room temp if possible but would like some opinions as to what would be my minimal temp. I plan to process with hangers and mid development flash the film and put back in developer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	220705 I have done a lot of this in the past, pretty difficult getting the temp up to 100 degrees which in the past I did, my life would be a lot easier if I could run at room temp for both E6 and C41.

Re: Lowest temperature for C-41 / E-6 cross-processing?

Very interesting!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Not sure if this is directed at me...but the type of work I am exploring is difficult to achieve at 100degrees, also if I want perfection of colour layers I get it, but not the scope of my work with solarization

Get a Jobo process and or the required processing hardware. Problem solved.

Meeting the needs of the photochemical process is the proper way, trying to bend what has been long established as good working process from many decades of research-development to meet individual wants often ends with dis-satisfaction..

Much depends on expectations of the color film processing results.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Not sure if this is directed at me...but the type of work I am exploring is difficult to achieve at 100degrees, also if I want perfection of colour layers I get it, but not the scope of my work with solarization

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Get a Jobo process and or the required processing hardware. Problem solved.

Meeting the needs of the photochemical process is the proper way, trying to bend what has been long established as good working process from many decades of research-development to meet individual wants often ends with dis-satisfaction..

Much depends on expectations of the color film processing results.

Bernice
    Thanks for the Mansplaining on this issue, you seem a bit out of touch.

I developed some c41 at room temp. specifically expired E3 and E4 ektachrome. but also some random recent c41 films I added to the run. Try 65-70 degrees, I bet you can go lower but would then consider extending development time further. sounds like you already have lots of additional variables to play with! good luck!, have fun.

Everything except those orange tulips was tank developed in c41 unicolor chemistry warm or at room temp in a garage in spring/winter.
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...all=1&text=c41
    process info: Developing E3 E4 Ektachrome slide films in C41:
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Like!

Very good explanation!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    I developed some c41 at room temp. specifically expired E3 and E4 ektachrome. but also some random recent c41 films I added to the run. Try 65-70 degrees, I bet you can go lower but would then consider extending development time further. sounds like you already have lots of additional variables to play with! good luck!, have fun.

Everything except those orange tulips was tank developed in c41 unicolor chemistry warm or at room temp in a garage in spring/winter.
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...all=1&text=c41
    process info: Developing E3 E4 Ektachrome slide films in C41:
    Thanks I am going to give it a go at the lower temp, I am indeed using outdated Transparency Film and outdated Colour Negative Film. in one case I need to push process 3 stops colour neg in E6 chemistry and in the other case I am giving a flash of light mid development. My jobo system is not relevant to this situation since the time lag between flash and back to developer needs to be seconds, therefore I am using the Kodak Stainless Steel tank and hangers for both 4 x 5 and 8 x 10. I can process 8 sheets of 4 x 5 at a time and with my assistant taking over the secondary steps I am able to rock through a lot of solarizations in a day. Once finished I scan each film and then do my separations for tri colour gum over palladium. The last time I did the colour solarization it was at 100 degree and really a huge PIA.

Quote Originally Posted by 826257 View Post
    perhaps (repeating what someone else suggested) -- cinestill may be an option.

also off IG: https://www.instagram.com/cinestillfilm/

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...f?v=1591402967

Attachment 220708

or even: https://cinestillfilm.com/collection...ompatible-film
    "CineStill is proud to introduce the Cs6 “Creative Slide” 3-Bath Process for color-timing E-6 reversal film, creating three new distinct slide film results - the true wonder of slide film unlocked. This process illuminates unique color profiles never before seen on slide film, effectively turning the tried and true standard into 3 totally different films. The Cs6 "Creative Slide" 3-Bath Process makes complicated chemistry simplified alchemy! The number of processing baths for E-6 film is reduced from 6 to 3. The reversal step occurs during color development in a Color&Reversal bath, and the bleach and conditioner steps are combined with the fixing step in a Bleaches&Fixer bath. Color-timing is performed with alternative 1st Developers to achieve full creative control of your slides."
    Thanks I will look into this as an option, my supplier has tons of E6 and C41 tetonal and Unicolour , I am hoping to work with the cheaper version as I have over 500 films to work with over the span of this project.