Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current options for 95mm filters

Current options for 95mm filters

Not exactly LF in application, but this crowd will know best. I'm going to be working on a project over the next few years, and I'll primarily be using an RZ67 with the 75mm shift lens, which takes 95mm filters. I won't need filters much as it's mostly night work, but sometimes a yellow, orange, polarizer, or ND would help make a shot happen. Is there any reasonable way to approach this? As I see it, my options are:
    • Filter system using 150mm resin filters and a 95mm adapter
    • Trolling eBay and Yahoo Auctions for miscellaneous 95mm filters
    • Some sort of gel filter holder and gelatin filters of an appropriate size, assuming I can find the relevant bits

Anyone here have experience using these larger filters? Any wisdom/suggestion to offer? I'm leaning toward the first option but haven't owned a filter system for fifteen years and throwing that much money at it gives me a sinking feeling. I suspect every workable option is just going to be quite expensive, so I'd like your two cents if you have it to give. Thanks!

Re: Current options for 95mm filters

A good 150mm resin filter system is not a bad option, If a stacking filter holder is used, this allows more than one filter to be applies if needed. Using a polarizer can be a problem with square resin filters due to the need for filter rotation, but this is often OK.

Have used Sinar 100mm resin filters in the past, they work, but not for M95 thread size.

Sinar made a nice 103mm glass filter system with rotating holder and polarizer years ago. These will work with M95 (adapter) but the B&W color filters have become difficult to find in recent years. This is a NICE filter system for larger lenses.

Trolling ebay for a set of M95 filters is a very reasonable option. This is likely the best performance for cost option. Do stay with know quality filter brands like B+W-Schneider, Heliopan, Hoya, Tiffen, Harrison & Harrison, Kenko others.

Bernice

Do or do not. There is no try.

What's the OD of the shift lens? Lenses that take 95mm filters often have a 100mm OD, and Lee make a special slip-on holder in this size to accept their 100mm filters. This could be a less expensive path than going to a 150mm system. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...t_100_4x4.html

Seconding Bernice, ebay is a good approach and if you're patient you should be able to find 95mm filters at reasonable prices. It took me a couple of years to put together a set for black-and-white use at an average cost of just over $40. In addition to the brands she mentioned, look for Bronica, Nikon, and Pentax - I was lucky enough to find a mint Bronica linear polarizer for $35. Watch out for super-cheap modern stuff, they're mostly made of plastic and may not be in the same optical league as Lee resins or glass.
    Last edited by Steve Goldstein; 17-Jan-2018 at 07:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    What's the OD of the shift lens? Lenses that take 95mm filters often have a 100mm OD, and Lee make a special slip-on holder in this size to accept their 100mm filters.
    You know, that's a very good point. I had one of those a long time ago when I had a 90mm SA XL. I'll have to measure it when it comes back from the shop (currently having the shutter repaired and two groups re-cemented). If that is indeed an option I'll definitely go that route for now. Will need a 150mm system eventually for digital with super-wide lenses, but would rather skip that cost for now.

Lee filter system has a 95mm ring. Works well with the longer focal LF lenses I use, not sure about wide angle MF but worth a look. Pricey though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Linhof had glass 95mm screw filters and 100mm slip-ons. I lucked out and got a complete set. Very high quality!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Linhof had glass 95mm screw filters and 100mm slip-ons. I lucked out and got a complete set. Very high quality!
    Very high quality indeed, I'm sure. What filters are in the complete set?

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Very high quality indeed, I'm sure. What filters are in the complete set?
    Basically, all the B&W contrast filters and a polarizing filter. No color correction filters. Oh, and a separate set that uses the large lens shade with slip-inside filters. Please understand that these were accumulated over thirty years, not in one lucky sweep.

An aside, I also put together slip-over lens shades for the Linhof Biogon 75mm, just for fun. They work on top of 100mm filters and the 95mm screw-ins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	biogon-shade-2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	173904

In my experience resin and gel filters are fine as long as there are no direct light sources in the picture.

I would try the intended shoot with a (cheap) smaller version of the intended filter, to judge the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Yes they did, they were rebranded, standard Heliopan.