Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 H&S Portrait Lens?????

8x10 H&S Portrait Lens?????

So, I'm struggling trying to get an 8x10 H&S setup. I'm currently using a Symmar. It's a 240 convertible to 420.

If I want to get even a 3/4 length shot using the 240, I have to get right in the subjects face. If I convert to 420, I have to roll back the camera to about 15 feet just to be able to focus a 3/4 length. I'm not sure I can even get any closer to focus at any bellows length.

So, what the hell do I have to do to be around 6 to 8 feet away from my subject and get a H&S shot?

Curious to know what focal length lens (and style) and bellows length, for 8x10.

Thanx in advance folks.

Joe Pawlowski
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00271-20120331-1026.jpg   IMG00275-20120331-1028.jpg  

Re: 8x10 H&S Portrait Lens?????

Try a 300 or 360. At the working distance you want, I'm thinking 360, most any lens that will cover should work OK fine.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Try a 300 or 360.
    That's what I thought but, then why doesn't the 420 work? Does is have to with the lens design? Being that it's a convertible and the lens is behind the shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    That's what I thought but, then why doesn't the 420 work? Does is have to with the lens design? Being that it's a convertible and the lens is behind the shutter?
    Having the glass behind the shutter increases the flange focal length a bit, but you'd have the same issue with any 420. Sounds like you don't have a lot of bellows.

Edit. I use a 420 Artar as a portrait lens, the camera has 30" of bellows, I use up most of that with a head and shoulders portrait.

Hmmm. I have over 30". I can get the subject in focus but I must be 15ft away. And then I'm only getting 3/4 to full length. It's pretty confusing.

Having the glass behind the shutter increases the flange focal length a bit, but you'd have the same issue with any 420. Sounds like you don't have a lot of bellows.

Edit. I use a 420 Artar as a portrait lens, the camera has 30" of bellows, I use up most of that with a head and shoulders portrait.

I rarely use my Symmar converible at the longer focal length. I think it needs more bellows than the marked length. Focus the camera at infinity, with the lens converted, measure from the GG to the lensboard. This will give you a number to start with. But either way, a 420 is a long lens. To get a head and shoulders portrait with mine, I'm using around 25 - 26" of the bellows extension, IIRC.

Do you remember the distance to subject?

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Do you remember the distance to subject?
    I don't, really. It's been 15 years or so since I did portraits with an 8x10. Say 8 or 10 feet for a head and just the tops of the shoulders. I think. About. Sorry.

funkadelic

Joe,
    I think some of the old Voigtlander or Wollensak docs have what you're looking for in table form. I just can't remember which booklet I saw it in, though I'm pretty sure it was on Camera Eccentric's web site.
    Maybe it was antiquecameras.net?

Chris

I rarely use my Symmar converible at the longer focal length. I think it needs more bellows than the marked length. Focus the camera at infinity, with the lens converted, measure from the GG to the lensboard. This will give you a number to start with. But either way, a 420 is a long lens. To get a head and shoulders portrait with mine, I'm using around 25 - 26" of the bellows extension, IIRC.
    It seems to me that technically speaking...

since a H&S of a small person, like the example subject at the beginning of this thread, is rather close to 8x10 inches, you're looking at nearly a 1:1 reproduction ratio.

SO... why not screw the rear element out of the back of the shutter and screw it into the front of the shutter? At 1:1 reproduction, it doesn't matter which way the lens is pointing...