Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Randy: That looks pretty nice. I was thinking about using boxes by "ACID" brand cigars. Look at them on e-bay.
    Hi Drew, I have seen the ones you are talking about - believe me, I have looked at just about every wooden cigar box available. I wanted a specific size so I wouldn't have to do much modification, other than cut a hole in one side for the lens and the other side for the film back. And of course, I wanted to keep the dimensions as small as possible - but - I still had to do some modifications and ended up not being happy with it. I used a Graflok back, which required a larger box than I wanted, and made the camera heavier. I am tempted to start over from scratch and make my own film back, just out of wood so the camera can be smaller and lighter. But the helicoid focuser is perfect.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Randy: All good observations. Think about the body of a pinhole camera. Use a gg made from a wooden film holder and a piece of frosted gless. I hafd one made at a local shop here in Houston. Worked great till I broke it.

Does Hair Spray on the TW plastic GG work at all?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Does Hair Spray on the TW plastic GG work at all?
    As a stop gap measure, I ran transparent (eg 3M) tape over mine. Was better than nothing and now I have horizontal composition lines ;-)

I pulled my Travelwide out of the cabinet after a winter of not being used. The focus helicoil was extremely stiff, which hadn't been a problem before. It was movable, but with difficulty. I knew from other people's experience not to just grip it tighter and force it.

I removed the retaining ring and took the focusing unit out of the camera. I was able to slowly unscrew it all the way and separate the two parts. I tried a little 3M Rubbing Compound between the parts to see if I could gently abrade a little plastic from the diameter, but no go. The plastic is too soft for that. I cleaned up the parts and applied a coating a Johnson's Paste Wax to the mating surfaces. After it flashed off, I polished them some with a soft rag.

The focus helicoil works much better again. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it never was to begin with. It works about as well as when I received the camera. Time will tell if this is a temporary fix that needs to be repeated from time to time.

Anybody ever used graphit powder?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Since the barrel of the focusing helicoid is exposed, I didn't want to use any lubricant that could rub off or stain anything that touched it. After a couple of days, my paste wax solution is holding up well and the focus is operating pretty much like when I first received it.

I use mine a lot. It was a little stiff in the beginning but I just kept playing around with it, turning the helicoil in and out. Over time I think I have worn it in (or out) and now it operates pretty easily. It certainly doesn't move accidentally on its own but it doesn't hang up at all when I turn it.

I have never really done anything special with it. Once in awhile it gets a bit gritty feeling after I've been out 4-wheeling with it, but I just take it apart and clean it out with my rocket blower and a camel hair brush. I don't use any lubricant or wax on it when I reassemble it. Since those tiny little screws are such a pain this is the only time it gets any special attention beyond wiping out the inside with a microcloth to keep the dust under control.

I don't know, perhaps shooting a lot of film in the middle of a desert helps break it in.

For those who enjoy shooting 6x9 and 4x5 negatives this is an absolutely marvelous tool.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

I've been using my Travelwide quite a bit this spring and the waxed focusing helicoid is operating smoothly, possibly better than when it was new. I don't have an experiment control to prove the paste wax is helping. It may be simply moving it from a cool slightly higher humidity basement cabinet to the main floors of my house made the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Drew - if you haven't already, check out the Mercury camera Kickstarter. Standard Graflok back, interchangeable lens assemblies (kind of), etc.
    Hi Corran,

Have you adapted a graflok 6x12 horseman back to a travelwide?

How has your experience been with the Mercury? I was hoping to save havinig to buy a new camera as I already have a horseman 6x12 back and travelwide.

Quote Originally Posted by sheel View Post
    Hi Corran,

Have you adapted a graflok 6x12 horseman back to a travelwide?

How has your experience been with the Mercury? I was hoping to save havinig to buy a new camera as I already have a horseman 6x12 back and travelwide.
    As you might know, you have to take the springs off of the Travelwide for the Horseman to work, and use rubber bands or something similar to hold it onto the body. I tried it, but was not interested in shooting the Travelwide in that limited fashion (no ground glass, possible danger of falling off if the rubber bands broke or sagged, etc.).

The Travelwide is best used with regular 4x5 double darkslides IMO.

Now, the Mercury - I just received mine last month. I have been mostly using the 6x9 configuration as an ultralight ultrawide camera with a 38mm XL. This lens will also cover 6x12! I have confirmed that the Mercury works just fine with the Horseman 6x12 back, but haven't shot any 6x12 with it just yet. I only bought one "body" with the kit, meaning I have to take it apart to switch to the 4x5 back. This is limiting so I'll be picking up another body so that I can use either back without having to take it all apart, and will shoot some 6x12 soon. The Mercury Kickstarter orders are being fulfilled en masse right now, so you'll be able to get a body and 4x5 back pretty soon! I think there is a mailing list you can sign up for. Highly recommended - I've already probably used the Mercury more than my Travelwide since I like the ultrawide capability (with focusing to boot!).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome