Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Please show your 6x17 pictures

Lachlan 717

Re: Please show your 6x17 pictures

Leon and Brian,

Check the lens range for the 6x17 backs on 4x5. I have significant doubts that they will cover the 72-210mm that Brian mentions. I would think that mechanical vignetting will kick in around 150mm, and I'd think that you'd need a deep recessed lens board to use a 72mm. 72mm is more likely than 210mm, I would think, but I'd also think it's going to be limited to centred, straight-on use.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Leon,

You can always feel free to roll down here to San Diego and use mine on an outing to see if it fits your needs.

-Brian

Now let me remember. We can show 6X17 cm work here if the negative was made using a view camera, either on sheet film or in a MF back fitted to the view camera, but not if the negative was made in a dedicated camera with its own lens like Gaoerski, Fotoman or Noblex. Do I have that right?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy,

I'm sure if you went by the letter of the law that would be a correct assumption. I guess I'm safe in that respect. Although, I recall somewhere saying if it had movements of some sort it would be accepted. I know a few models have movements but not sure if all do. I also could be wrong

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Now let me remember. We can show 6X17 cm work here if the negative was made using a view camera, either on sheet film or in a MF back fitted to the view camera, but not if the negative was made in a dedicated camera with its own lens like Gaoerski, Fotoman or Noblex. Do I have that right?

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Leon and Brian,

Check the lens range for the 6x17 backs on 4x5. I have significant doubts that they will cover the 72-210mm that Brian mentions. I would think that mechanical vignetting will kick in around 150mm, and I'd think that you'd need a deep recessed lens board to use a 72mm. 72mm is more likely than 210mm, I would think, but I'd also think it's going to be limited to centred, straight-on use.
    FWIW, I use a Da Yi 6x17 back, on a 5x4 camera dedicated pretty much 100% to the 617 format (a Walker 5x4 XL), and the lenses in my kit are 72mm, 90mm, 120mm and 210mm. Lachlan 617 is correct to say that some mechanical vignetting occurs with the 210mm (becomes a 6x15 or 6x14), but his supposition that there are no movement possibilities with the 72mm XL is not correct with the Walker. I have the lens mounted on a 11mm recessed board, which permits infinity focus on the Walker with the Da Yi back, and though fiddly, rise/fall, tilt and swing on the front standard all work.

However, on my Ebony 45SU with the Da Yi back, the 72mm XL in a 11mm recessed board cannot focus at infinity. A deeper recessed board will allow focus, but the nature of the front cell of the 72mm prevents access to the controls within the recessed lensboard -- making it useless anyway. So the Da Yi and the 72mm will not work on all 5x4 cameras.

Note that I use Linhof/Technika style lensboards; the situation might be different with 5x4 cameras that use larger lensboards (more room for access to controls in recessed boards?).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bigwood View Post
    Hi Vladik - love those first pinhole pictures. Where were they taken?
    first one is surely shooted in Prague.

This is from Rokycany, Czech Rep.

silence and darkness

Lachlan,

I don't have any problems with my 210mm... 72mm, I don't know. Just getting my 90mm on a recessed board to work with my camera setup is a pain so I'm not even attempting the 72mm. The lilly I shot and posted along with the chess players (I think it was in the On Photography section..) were both made with A Schneider APO-Symmar MC 210mm f/5.6.

-Brian

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_A View Post
    Lachlan,

I don't have any problems with my 210mm... 72mm, I don't know. Just getting my 90mm on a recessed board to work with my camera setup is a pain so I'm not even attempting the 72mm. The lilly I shot and posted along with the chess players (I think it was in the On Photography section..) were both made with A Schneider APO-Symmar MC 210mm f/5.6.

-Brian
    Thanks for the update, Brian. All of the research I did a few years ago led me to conclude this wasn't possible for a 6x17 image. As David mentioned, I thought that the mechanical vignetting caused reduced usable image width.

What brand are you using?

Thanks again.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Thanks for the update, Brian. All of the research I did a few years ago led me to conclude this wasn't possible for a 6x17 image. As David mentioned, I thought that the mechanical vignetting caused reduced usable image width.

What brand are you using?

Thanks again.
    My Dayi back has problems at 210mm, and it is more like a 6x15 at that range. I think 180mm is the longest that will give the full 6x17. Less if shooting closer than infinity.

Lachlan,

To be honest, I have never sat there and measured it... But for what it's worth, I don't get the circling at the edges.. I used a 400mm on it and it did, but that's to be expected. Maybe I don't see it as a big issue as others may - but if you've seen those images I mentioned before, that's what you can do with a 210. It may also have to do with the camera/back combination too... I use a Horseman Woodman. I've heard varying experiences depending on camera you use because near the back sometimes the camera body chokes off some of the image.

-Brian