Page 196 of 655 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 6544

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Lee Smathers

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Yeah...I'm jealous! I'll PM you in a minute RE: scans.
    The grass is always greener on the other side! You've got the ultimate digital workflow! I'm jealous!

Lee Smathers

I just took 10 exact same exposures with 7x17 xray. The purpose? To get my processing down packed with this ULF film. The scene has a sky which seems to be the biggest challenge.

I figure I'll try:
    1. Pyro PMK x 2 (any suggestions, recommendations?)
    2. X-TOL x2 (any suggestions on dilutions with x-ray film?) ... just hope the chemicals are good. I mixed it in March or April. I've heard it can unexpectedly die. Was in a near full sealed bottle.
    3. D-76 or Dektol x2, if there is any left from the end of the semester. (Suggestions on dilutions with xray?)
    4. Rodinal 1:100 x4 might try one in trays and one in rotary processor. Going for longer times for more even development.

As always any recommendations are welcome!

Has anyone determined if any lens filters are helpful with green sensitive x-ray?

Really hope to be out shooting the monorail next week!

Your light leaks are most likely on the flap end. If they are not black inside, blacken them with a felt pen. Keeping your dark cloth over the camera while making exposures goes a long way toward preventing light leaks.

Here is a happy subject posing next to his portrait. The subject to print ratio is almost 1:2. This is actually starting to work out for me. I now have a gallery interested in showing the work. Who needs traditional landscape when the landscape of the human face is so close at hand. Voyeurs unite!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6302.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	98591

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Your light leaks are most likely on the flap end. If they are not black inside, blacken them with a felt pen. Keeping your dark cloth over the camera while making exposures goes a long way toward preventing light leaks.
    Thanks Jim! I remember your tips on my 7x17 set up back in January. I'm very grateful for your advice as an experienced 7x17 shooter. I went to the local market and found a cloth vendor that had some perfect cloth. Waterproof vinyl-type material: black on one side and white on the other. I was about to get 2 yards and remembered you said about 7 feet, so I went 2.5 yards. The cloth cost me less than $7 USD, I took it to seamstress and they sewed Velcro on four ends for less than $6 bucks. I got a massive light proof dark cloth for less than $15! It works really well and is actually kind of cool in this summer heat with white on one side. I wanted waterproof because back in January I was doing 4x5 in a heavy snow. I was very grateful I was able to use the dark cloth to protect the camera and take exposures with it as a shield from the snow.

Glad to help.

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by davidrcarls View Post
    Here is a happy subject posing next to his portrait. The subject to print ratio is almost 1:2. This is actually starting to work out for me. I now have a gallery interested in showing the work. Who needs traditional landscape when the landscape of the human face is so close at hand. Voyeurs unite!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6302.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	98591
    I'm with you all the way! People are much more interesting! Portraits of other people don't sell very well. I'm going to try a few landscape shows, if work doesn't sell from them I'll probably go back to doing people. Maybe by then I can figure a way out to do 14x17 myself.

That is an awesome portrait. While I was showing my student portrait work, the students stood next to their portrait on the wall. If I ever do that work again, I might consider rephotographing them next to their enlarged portrait in the gallery (2 shows from one idea!). As the show was going on, I also imagined having camera, background, and lighting set up so I could photograph any spectators that were interested. Since I'm an educator and think the process is important, I think that could be a wonderful addition to a show or portraits. And then you get more work for another exhibition! How cool is that?!! My only worry is that my 10 holders wouldn't be enough. If I was in the states, I could ask others to let me borrow holders for the duration of the show. I doubt I could set up a darkroom in the gallery space too, but that would be so cool if I could! Hmmm, thinking out loud. Maybe I need to find a gallery that will allow me to do this. Show of portraits + studio space + mini darkroom to show people their images processing. As a teacher that loves showing these things off, this would be a major photogasm for me!

All good ideas. You are moving into Live Art territory.

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    I'm with you all the way! People are much more interesting! Portraits of other people don't sell very well. I'm going to try a few landscape shows, if work doesn't sell from them I'll probably go back to doing people. Maybe by then I can figure a way out to do 14x17 myself.

That is an awesome portrait. While I was showing my student portrait work, the students stood next to their portrait on the wall. If I ever do that work again, I might consider rephotographing them next to their enlarged portrait in the gallery (2 shows from one idea!). As the show was going on, I also imagined having camera, background, and lighting set up so I could photograph any spectators that were interested. Since I'm an educator and think the process is important, I think that could be a wonderful addition to a show or portraits. And then you get more work for another exhibition! How cool is that?!! My only worry is that my 10 holders wouldn't be enough. If I was in the states, I could ask others to let me borrow holders for the duration of the show. I doubt I could set up a darkroom in the gallery space too, but that would be so cool if I could! Hmmm, thinking out loud. Maybe I need to find a gallery that will allow me to do this. Show of portraits + studio space + mini darkroom to show people their images processing. As a teacher that loves showing these things off, this would be a major photogasm for me!
    Tin Can

Newbie--Seattle Lite

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Great start Lee!

It's now refinement, wonderful formal locations!

The big advantage is V750 double scanning those negs, that is very handy.

Seems I am progressing on my economy ULF, last night I scored one, that's right, one 14x17 holder in very good condition. Now I need to build an extension back. My camera is getting bigger...
    Hi Randy, I've herd the about double scanning twice now. What exactly is this, and how does one go about it? Thanks, Rde.. the Seattle guy ( aka the other Randy )

They are simply scanning 1/2 at a time and then stitching in PS.

Since 7x17 is too long, you just let 1/2 stick out. Or you could even cut it in 1/2!

Quote Originally Posted by rdelung View Post
    Hi Randy, I've herd the about double scanning twice now. What exactly is this, and how does one go about it? Thanks, Rde.. the Seattle guy ( aka the other Randy )
    Tin Can