Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disinfecting Film, Cameras and other Photographic Equipment from Viruses

Disinfecting Film, Cameras and other Photographic Equipment from Viruses

With coronavirus going around, how would you handle film out for processing at pro labs with package and handling going on at the developer and thru the shipping services? How do you disinfect processed film?

What about disinfecting camera equipment and other photographic supplies you've ordered? Most photographic supply and processing companies are in highly infected areas.

Re: Disinfecting Film, Cameras and other Photographic Equipment from Viruses

Excellent article to help answer your specific question, and others that arise during a regular day to protect oneself and family.

Stay safe at home, and stay home! Bend the curve!!!

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/the...de-coronavirus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foamer

If you're worried, just let the package sit in the sun for a day or so. I'm not that worried.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    With coronavirus going around, how would you handle film out for processing at pro labs with package and handling going on at the developer and thru the shipping services? How do you disinfect processed film?

What about disinfecting camera equipment and other photographic supplies you've ordered? Most photographic supply and processing companies are in highly infected areas.
    Its considered to be a very low risk situation. If you will feel more comfortable, then simply set the package aside for three days before handling its contents. The passing of time will eliminate all risk potentially encountered in handling incoming materials.

My high intensity UV light box now in daily non-photographic use. Groceries, gloves, mask, hands, etc. all get exposed to its light. Also have a handheld UV light source that is used on everything else including my car's steering wheel, door handles, knobs, etc.

FWIW, I received a shipment of darkroom chemicals and paper from B&H last Friday. I opened the cardboard shipping packages on the doorstep, left the cartons to “age,” and washed my hands. I’ve left the paper (cardboard packed) and chemicals (plastic containers inside plastic bags) just inside the door. I’m giving them a full 3 days to sit. On Tuesday or so I will take the chemicals out of the bags, bags into recycling bin, probably still give the plastic containers a quick light spray of disinfectant, and then put them into the darkroom where they will be ready for use. Is this all necessary? Who knows, but approaching a 73rd birthday, there’s no penalty for being cautious.

I like to clean used cameras that I obtain with 70% alcohol, especially any eyepieces. This was before coronavirus, but should work well now.

For reference: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...pisrc=nl_ideas

If you can't get through the paywall, I'm sure you can find the same info elsewhere. But this gist of it is:
    • Recent study that found virus lasts for 24 hrs on cardboard and 72 hrs on hard surfaces was measuring to detectable level; a very high standard
    • A lot of things have to happen in sequence for you to contract from touching cardboard or items.
    • Basic good practice (washing hands after touching) should be adequate.
    • If really concerned, leave it alone for a few hours.

This is the recent report that I think most people who are writing about viral persistence right now are ultimately drawing on:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    This is the recent report that I think most people who are writing about viral persistence right now are ultimately drawing on:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
    From that article:

"On cardboard, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 24 hours" (SARS-CoV-2 is the name they use for the current corona virus)