Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Driving Down To Death Valley

Re: Driving Down To Death Valley

DV is a challenge! But I have had more luck there than at the Grand Canyon.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Even the lulls have been challenging!
    That's what Medium Format cameras are for.

On a positive note, the weather report is showing less wind for you Thursday and Friday.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Medium format's for wimps... heh heh.
    Yes, much less wind today and not so hot due to very light hazy clouds. Love it! Trip is drawing to a close. Leaving tomorrow at 5am. It's a loooong drive home. Hey, if any of you will be in DV in the very near future, keep your eyeballs peeled for a red filter. I seemed to have misplaced mine!

Time flies when one is having fun! Have a safe drive home!

(what size... )
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Hey, if any of you will be in DV in the very near future, keep your eyeballs peeled for a red filter. I seemed to have misplaced mine!
    Can you narrow that down a bit, or is this to be the photographer's equivalent of the Lost Dutchman Mine? I be peelin' since I don't generally carry strong filtration, and DV is certainly one place I might consider using some. Hope it's a good 'un! (oh yeah – sorry for your loss )

I went to Death Valley this past September, I FedEx'd my 4x5 gear to a NV FedEx location. We then drove from Nevada to Death Valley. Upon opening my camera at the hotel that first day I found my camera was seperated from the handle, meaning FedEx dropped it hard enough to crack the ground glass and dislocate the top of the camera where the handle connects. Since I spent the money to ship the camera I thought of how to fix, so I bought crazy glue and used gaffers tape to seal any cracks. So I shot the whole two weeks without a thought further it would be an issue- not once. Getting back I processed the Black and white images, no issues. My advice regarding DV is don't stay out side for an extended period during mid day. We traveled to Bad water basin, and Dantes View among others. The really nice aspect about the early part of my trip was we saw it rain and thunder and lighting in the valley, and through 75 percent of my two weeks we had fairly ineteresting skies. I caught images of a Thunderstorm across the valley at sunset red clouds and some strikes of lightening. If you can avoid buying gasoline in the Valley you will benefit, at the time I think it was 4.50 or 4.75 a gallon
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Sounds like a good trip. Sorry about the camera damage.

You are supposed to sleep in the shade in DV except for night and the magic hours.

As for shipping I often ship my camping gear and now LF gear ahead and ship it back home the same way, while I travel lightly on my bike. Sometimes my wheels need shipping home also...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    I went to Death Valley this past September, I FedEx'd my 4x5 gear to a NV FedEx location. We then drove from Nevada to Death Valley. Upon opening my camera at the hotel that first day I found my camera was seperated from the handle, meaning FedEx dropped it hard enough to crack the ground glass and dislocate the top of the camera where the handle connects. Since I spent the money to ship the camera I thought of how to fix, so I bought crazy glue and used gaffers tape to seal any cracks. So I shot the whole two weeks without a thought further it would be an issue- not once. Getting back I processed the Black and white images, no issues. My advice regarding DV is don't stay out side for an extended period during mid day. We traveled to Bad water basin, and Dantes View among others. The really nice aspect about the early part of my trip was we saw it rain and thunder and lighting in the valley, and through 75 percent of my two weeks we had fairly ineteresting skies. I caught images of a Thunderstorm across the valley at sunset red clouds and some strikes of lightening. If you can avoid buying gasoline in the Valley you will benefit, at the time I think it was 4.50 or 4.75 a gallon

I got petrol in Beatty. Heaps cheaper. Also ate there too.

We stayed in Beatty at the Atomic Inn, also ate in the 3? places there to eat. I also tried Sierra Nevada pale ale for the second time - it is a much different ale when purchased close to the source.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Last time I was in Beatty a large Peacock was trying to get a ride at the stoplight/stop sign. As soon as you stopped he would come running up to the window and look you in the eye asking for a ride.

Thomas