Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3d printed 4x5 film reel for metal tanks

3d printed 4x5 film reel for metal tanks

hi there, all of you.

normally I'm only reading the posts here on the forums, but today there is something I want to share with you and get a bit of feedback on.

I'm working with large format since 2009, and using the "taco method" ever since to develop my B&W. the fact is that I cannot blame the method for anything - it never ruined any photo of mine. but it just doesn't feels right, if you know what I mean...

having previously owned several stainless steel tanks because of 135 and 120 film processing, it never interested me to buy another tank of another system. plus, processing you own film is by no means a big thing in Brazil, and everything you want has to come from abroad, which means expensive shipping plus 60% tax customs.

there really isn't any other way for people using metal tanks, is there? MOD54 is a great product on a decent price, but it is for patterson tanks only.

so... this thing about 3d printing has got me a bug in the last couple of months, and I ended up designing something loosely based on the old nikor tank. you can check it out on http://www.sculpteo.com/en/design/8-...lickredirect=1.

I have just finished this design and uploaded it to this website so, some acknowledgements:
    1. this is a very expensive price to me;
    2. I have never tried this design, but for me it seems to work as a concept;
    3. I'm not sure if the printed plastic would survive some of our corrosive chemicals;

well, that's basically it. I would appreciate if you could just have a look at it and let me know what you think.

all the best,

cleber
    www.cleberfigueiredo.net

Re: 3d printed 4x5 film reel for metal tanks

Very cool. I like the design! It's a bit spendy, but considering their equipment costs, I can see it. Could this be expanded for 5x7?

Kevin Kolosky

I think it looks great, but I doubt you would get many people to spend $175 on it.

I would be afraid that the middle brace can cause uneven development.

Heh, and I was thinking of doing something very similar; just hadn't gotten around to it.

Is it the first time you've designed something for 3D printing?

The cost of the model is directly proportionate with the amount of material used (i.e., mass of the model), so what you want to do is to figure out all sorts of ways to cut down on the material amount, while sacrificing structural integrity as little as possible.

Also, if I remember correctly, isn't the minimum wall thickness for the materials at Sculpteo some ridiculously large number (like 3mm)?

Shapeways's "White/Black Strong & Flexible" material is availablve from 0.7mm wall thickness, which should cut down on your costs quite a bit.

If you need thicker, consider where you can go and punch out some holes while maintaining the basic function and durability of a member.

I designed a filter holder for Kodak Aero Ektar, and figured I don't really *need* a lot of the material for my purposes… so I punched out some holes, and it's still quite sturdy, and I was able to cut down on the printing cost by around 35%.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/89228...l?li=my-models

I bet I could make the holes a bit larger and space them a bit tighter and knock off another 10% in costs without really sacrificing sturdiness :-)

thanks for the feedback!

let me try and answer each one.

1750Shoote: I think this concept would be applicable to 5x7. I'm only afraid that the film will be too tight inside the model, to a point where it would start to compromise the flow of chemicals. we would have to test...

tigger_six: that is a valid point, and I wonder if you actually need that middle brace, anyway. I thought about it just in order to prevent the film to bend and scape the upper and lower braces, when inserting it. but, perhaps, you wouldn't need it...

RawheaD: no, I have never printed anything in 3d. I have those ideas and just keep imagining them getting real, somehow. I tried some other design, more like the MOD54, but never took it too seriously (http://www.sculpteo.com/en/design/un...lickredirect=1). I cannot remember reading anything technical at Sculpteo about wall sizes. but I used 1.5mm walls, because it looked enough when looking at my ruler. very technical, right?

just out of curiosity I have uploaded the model to Shapeways, and already the price went down to $92. that's quite a rebate, isn't it? http://shpws.me/nv6f

it is complicated, never having felt in my hands how the material is like. I have absolutely no idea on how it behaves, and where it could have less mass.

maybe one day I will just take the plunge and order it, as a prototype on where to work from.
    www.cleberfigueiredo.net

I'm curious as to what keeps the film from coming out. The Nikkor 4x5 tank has a band that goes around the outside that keeps the film in.

Also what is wrong the the mod54 and a Pearson tank. It's clearly a cheeper option then paying someone to 3d print your design.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    It's clearly a cheeper option then paying someone to 3d print your design.
    Well some people might be able to print them themselves. I have access to a 3d printer, although I've never used it.

Like I said, punching holes wherever you can is a start. Many of your vertical columns seem quite wide. Do they need to be? (I remember the Nikor ones to have fairly narrow vertical columns.

If the width is and important functional factor, then you can keep the general form, then cut out square holes (e.g., 1cm^2 @ 1cm intervals) in all the columns. The material is going to be strong enough that even if you "hollow out" a good 30-40% of the materials, they're gonna keep the shape.

Also, 1.5 mm is unnecessarily thick. My Aero-Ektar filter adapter is using a wall thickness of 1 mm. By changing your wall thickness from 1.5 to 1 mm, you are going to slash the printing cost by 1/3.

I think if you could bring the price of this down to the $50-60 range, and of course, if it turns out to be functionally and structurally sound, you'll have quite a few purchasers :-)

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tigger_six View Post
    I would be afraid that the middle brace can cause uneven development.
    +1