Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice Re : First ever visit to South Rim of GrandCanyon in January

Re: Need Advice Re : First ever visit to South Rim of GrandCanyon in January

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    One of the things that makes this forum great is that people of experience are willing to speak plainly. One of the things I like about forums in general is that I don’t have to take the advice offered to me even when 1.) I ask for it, or 2.) it’s correct.

OP, congratulations on coming back from cancer. I had cancer last year, too, and before and after the resulting (entirely successful) surgery, realized that I needed to revise my thinking. My goal now is to die young—as late as possible. I’m back to reasonable fitness—not where I was 20 years ago when I did the Ironman—but pretty good.

That said, the older I get, the more I pay attention to altitude. I travel constantly and get to calibrate my understanding of altitude effects. The advice you are receiving may not be necessary, but it’s still worth considering and comes with experience and good intentions.

I was at the South Rim a couple of years ago before, during, and after snow. I can’t show the images (they weren’t large format), but snow is magic in the desert. I used a 24-105 zoom in a 24x36 camera, and needed both ends. That would be like your 155 on the short end, but is much longer than any reasonable lens for 8x10 on the long end. The moral to that story is that there are photos to be made with whatever lens you have.

Now, enjoy your trip—I’m envious. And enjoy the forum, and for that I recommend assuming the best intentions and responding with the best intentions.

Rick “one of your friendly moderators” Denney
    I will have a long digital I have only four nights this trip and with 8x10 getting even four shots in a day is success. I know there is reason to bring a long lens. However I am limited by Carry-on weights for this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Toronto, I think you misinterpret what Sal put here.
    Many of Ansel's finest were with longer than normal lenses - and elevated viewpoint.
    Sound advice on elevation differences, apparently from one who has experience.
    Nothing negative in what he posted. No "anti-Canadian Bull" to be seen. Just advice given from personal experience.

As for "what should I use and what are the best views" as you ask. "Same old, same old" is what you will end up with - as we too often see.
    This being my First visit I think the "same old" will be fantastic. Maybe on later visits I will go for more detail and exploratory views. I had wanted to include B&W but I will have 25 sheets of e-6 and to shoot them in 4 days will be impossible I think I will do 16 tops. 4 per day.

I do want to thank Everyone for their help and guidance . This si so very refreshing and helpful . I am excited to go and I know this will be my First trip but not my last.

I'm sure you'll have a great time; it's a magical place. Best of luck!

Foamer

You can't help but have a great time!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    I will have a long digital I have only four nights this trip and with 8x10 getting even four shots in a day is success. I know there is reason to bring a long lens. However I am limited by Carry-on weights for this trip.
    My digitals were taken with 35mm equivalent 24-70mm. NO real long lenses Some were cropped. Good luck and have fun. Don;t forget the meal by the overlook. Buy flowers for your wife. (She going?)

Also, the Hopi House is one of the better shops for Native American crafts—much better than the tourist junk in the other stores. You’d have to really know your way around the Big Res and the pueblos to do better, and even then the quality won’t be as consistent. I’ve brought jewelry home to my wife after each trip (I’ve done some gubmint work with the NPS folks at GRCA, and so have been there several times recently).

Rick “heading that way in May, but not with the big camera” Denney

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

This link https://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_si...0232_large.jpg is to a shot I took along Hermit Road with a 200 or 300mm lens on a Pentax 67II (I think it was the 200mm). That would translate to about 600mm or 750mm in 8x10 speak.

Hermit is a long road that turns to gravel but you can drive it without difficulty in a low clearance automobile (I traveled it in a Toyoto Echo). The above view was taken in January from the road about 20 miles out.

Thomas

The only problem is,

no photograph does the Grand Canyon justice

I suggest sitting gazing meditation

'fix' it in your mind
    Tin Can

Foamer

The last time I was there I took a stroll at night with my Nikon DSLR. I got some nice shots at night; no one else was anywhere around.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!