Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What's the BEST ultra-light weight, compact 4x5 tripod you've actually used

Re: What's the BEST ultra-light weight, compact 4x5 tripod you've actually used

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    There's a wind warning out so there couldn't be a better day for determining its worth.
    One more point to consider is how much bellows extension you typically use. If you generally stick to shorter lenses you will have less of problem with wind than if you like long lenses. Of course, that's not just a "tripod problem". With any amount of wind, I don't bother to pull out my 300mm lens -- or longer. It's just a waste of time even with a 300 pound tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Needs a chin strap. You could put a canon 300mm on an autofocus DSLR body and use it for bird in flight shots. Where you aim your head you can follow the bird and use a cable/remote release. You become the human gimbal.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

It has a tight chin strap

Very necessary

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Needs a chin strap. You could put a canon 300mm on an autofocus DSLR body and use it for bird in flight shots. Where you aim your head you can follow the bird and use a cable/remote release. You become the human gimbal.
    Tin Can

I've been working on this for a while. Lightweight, strong and compact are difficult but not impossible.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...10-and-smaller

I use a variety of tripods, mostly 2-section or 4-section, depending on how much adjustments I think I"ll need to make in the field.
    The 2-section is very light and strong, but isn't compact when folded. Still, it's so light that you can strap it to anything and easily carry it all day.
    Set up is very quick, too.
    A number of 4-section tripods are very useful as well, they're slightly heavier but stability isn't an issue.
    I test everything with a lightweight 8x10 (6-7 lbs), a smallness and a film holder. A 32mm or 38mm ball head is used.
    I wouldn't call this the only solution, but it's one that is available when I want to travel light.

Ari, I will buy the 2 leg upside down Heavy Duty with new 100mm ball head

It will work very well for me sitting in a small folding chair, as I have done many times

Any idea of timing?
    Tin Can

Hi Randy,
    End of March is when they're due, I'll update the thread when I have a definite date.

Very good

I consider my tallest and strongest FLM a lightweight at well under 5 lb

OP, thread drift is constant

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Hi Randy,
    End of March is when they're due, I'll update the thread when I have a definite date.
    Tin Can

OP has deleted his messages, he may

However we all lose when data is erased

Pity
    Tin Can

I have several Kodak (and other brands) wooden folding tripods. When set up correctly they are extremely sturdy. Any vibrations which will be amplified by metal and CF tripods, are dampened immediately. The one I use with the 8x10 weighs 20 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    It will work very well for me sitting in a small folding chair, as I have done many times
    Now all you need are a bunch of helium-filled balloons and a BB-gun.