Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter Projects--No Longer Posted Here

Kickstarter Projects--No Longer Posted Here

Revised: February 25, 2014

Folks, the moderators have altered how Kickstart campaigns are handled, based on comments in this thread. We have created a Kickstarter Announcements sub-forum in the Community section. Also, we have modified the guidelines to read:

Kickstarter Projects - Kickstarter projects that relate to photography may be announced once, and once only, in the Kickstarter Announcements section. All subsequent discussion of that Kickstarter campaign must be confined to that thread. Projects of no interest to photographers (in the judgement of the moderators) will be removed.
    Please no longer announce Kickstarter campaigns in this forum. We will be moving those that are already here to the new forum as time permits, but we will leave forwarding links here when we do.

Rick "respectfully re-submitted" Denney[/s]
    Last edited by rdenney; 25-Feb-2014 at 07:34.

Re: Kickstarter Projects

Question.....what if your not announcing one but just bringing one up for discussion?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

One announcement gets a couple of comments and a new rule is needed?

Are we getting JUST a little knee jerk restrictive?

Kickstarter proposals are short-lived and essentially non-commercial ... they don't really fit into the commercial venture category. They are a relatively new phenomenon on this forum ... how 'bout we sort of let it go for a while and then figure out if we really have a "problem" that actually requires moderator intervention.

I have no problem with the 1-thread rule in the announcement or new product section but to ban all other mention in related discussions?

What's the interest ... or harm ... that you are trying to protect us from?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I think the problem is that artists tend to have a lot of artist friends, and so the kickstarter requests never end.

My friend Vince Cianni has an elegant solution. He sent the following with his announcement:

I am sending this to the photographers on my list. Because we are all trying to fund our own projects, I am not asking that you donate to the Kickstarter campaign. However I am asking if you would consider posting on your social media sites, since the success of crowd funding requires reaching as many people as possible.

When I do a kickstarter project, I plan to borrow this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Question.....what if your not announcing one but just bringing one up for discussion?
    I would think it similar to eBay auctions. We've had discussions of items being offered on eBay, but without links and not by the seller. (Announcements by eBay sellers are, of course, prohibited.)

We are talking about Kickstarter announcements by the offeror or or someone representing the offeror.

But that's why I added the bit about gray areas. Let's see how it goes.

Rick "noting that gallery showings, etc., are handled the same way" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    ... All subsequent discussion of that Kickstarter campaign must be confined to that thread. ....
    Then you need to remove the above quoted statement from the rule.

I would give you a couple of examples why ... but I would be violating your rule by posting them here.

i am sorry i do not know what a kickstarter campaign is...... this is the only blog i use and read. maybe a definition in a few words as it pertains to LF would help

Maybe do an online search? It would take you about 5 minutes to know all there is to know. The moderators have enough to do.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    Then you need to remove the above quoted statement from the rule.

I would give you a couple of examples why ... but I would be violating your rule by posting them here.
    The discussions that Kirk referred to wouldn't be subsequent to an announcement.

Let's see how it goes. If you actually feel constrained by it, in practice and not just in theory, post it as an issue in the Feedback forum.

Rick "noting again that the question had been called" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Maybe do an online search? It would take you about 5 minutes to know all there is to know. The moderators have enough to do.
    i did do the research ... and why do you the moderators if they are so busy have to deal with this? There is so much to talk about in Large Format photography ... why is this even part of the discussion other than lounge talk.... why here? dono ...just askin....