Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technika in a Domke F-2 or other shoulder bag?

Re: Technika in a Domke F-2 or other shoulder bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    I sent you there for dimensions, not to buy. But you could if you wanted to!

Your camera and the MT are very similar in size.
    Ahh, I see now the different layouts have dimensions. That’s helpful.

EDIT: the one thing I’m not sure about—the KEH listing is titled “4X5 LINHOF TECHNIKA IV” but the photos show the rangefinder, which I believe would make it Super Technika, right? I guess I’ll find out when it arrives. I’m not expecting to use the rangefinder, so if it doesn’t have it, I’ll be fine, but the dimensions on that bag—182x190—I’m guessing are the model without the rangefinder.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    Ahh, I see now the different layouts have dimensions. That’s helpful.
    That bag is for the Technika and the TechniKardan. Make sure you use the Technika dimensions.

AbriZzi: Don't over think this. Having read your Op, I realize that you are looking for the best bag, not the cheqapest bag. However finding what works best for you may not happen ritght awqay. My 4x5 kit is built around a Wista DX 45, whichn, I realize4, is more compact than your Technika. However, I do have more than one bag that the whole kit fits into. One is a LowePro trekker backpack, another is a Pelican 1510 hard case and the third is an Old LowePro "Magnum-35" shoulder bag.

The bag you get just now will likely not be the last bag you ever put this camera and associated gear into. Check out e-Bay for pre-owned bags. High-end items often show up there , often ad well below retail. This will allow you to try out more than one system before finding the one that is Righrt for you.

Frankly, I don't think I have ever bought a brand new camera case or bag. Often the case comes with the gear I bought. Some camera shops have bags laying around behind the counter. Another really good option is thrift storea and Goodwill. Often there is something, not a camera bag that will work great but doesn't scream, :I am a rich guy, ROB ME!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 05 Back no waste Belt.JPG   10 Interior Deviders.JPG   P1011182.jpg   P1011183.jpg  
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

OK, "Porta Brace" is not something I have heard of before. What is that?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    OK, "Porta Brace" is not something I have heard of before. What is that?
    they are pro gear bags, much more common in the film/tv world. I discovered them when working for a TV station as everything was in a porta brace bag. they are generally very well built, application specific, and no frills (I mean that in a good way--they aren't decorative but meant for work.) If you've ever seen a TV van with equipment in blue bags--those were probably porta brace (their blue bags were their signature for a long time, though it looks like most of their stuff is black now.)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...t_Run_Bag.html

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    OK, "Porta Brace"
    They make a wide range of camera/audio cases here in the US, and thus can be a bit spendy (though you can often find them steeply discounted at B&H and other vendors, not to mention the auction site.) Otherwise, their design philosophy seems to be 180-degrees from Domke; i.e. over-built and over-padded for some applications, perhaps, though the build quality is high.

FWIW, I've been trying to think through just how much "protection" to give LF gear vs. my DSLR kit...not quite to the point of just throwing it in loose in the bed of a pickup truck, but I suspect some "tough love" is in the offing.

I have a Tenba 13 DNA and my Technikas (IV and Master) fit just fine inside it, with enough room for a lens on the side (yes on the board, I would definitely not recommend otherwise). It can hold a laptop but usually I stuff Grafmatic film holders in that area. I wouldn't suggest a shoulder bag for a heavy 4x5 camera though. It hurts my shoulder after an hour or two. But if you are working "out" of the shoulder bag mostly with it set down somewhere, it could be fine.

In the past I've also used a very heavy-duty neck strap for the Technika, along with the Tenba filled with film holders and lenses, and mostly held the camera with my hands unless I'm doing something in the case. This helps the weight issue.

But mostly, I like backpacks. I have several, and usually I can fit my Technika or other 4x5 along with 3-5 lenses and plenty of film/filters/etc., not to mention a tripod attached to the side of it. When using my 4x5 cameras, I usually find a rock or a stump to put the bag on, so I don't usually bend way down getting into the bag, but YMMV. Good luck. The Technikas are not light cameras though!

Oh yeah - the Tenba is expensive but I found one on eBay for a quarter the price. I buy all my bags second-hand - their resale value is always pretty low.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks. The Tenba looks nice. Their price on B&H is equivalent to a Domke F-2, so could definitely be in the running.

I used a Porta Brace VTR bag for years that once held a 3/4" video tape recorder, but the down side was that it held my Technika well, but not a lot of room for other stuff (like holders etc), so I ended up carrying another bag, and a Tilt all in a satchel bag, so it got a little crowded on me... Ended up finding a like new Lowepro photo backpack, but what impressed me was there was a padded shoulder strap that allowed the pack to hang low beneath my arm, so it was like a camera bag, and I even noticed that the front pockets unzipped at an angle that made it very easy to dig into the pockets while wearing it... Not to hard to dig the camera out of the bottom while standing, and mini padded bags were fairly secure inside holding holders, lenses, accy's, meter, etc that didn't fall out when opening... I don't like putting my bags down in dusty places, so it was comfortable to wear while shooting, esp without the camera inside, and does not look too suspicious when shooting in the city...

Still using it for the Linhof...

Steve K

IMG_20190608_130915 by Vance, on Flickr

IMG_20190608_130748 by Vance, on Flickr

Hey you go. My F2, loaded with a chamonix 4x5, fuji 135 f5.6, rodenstock 210 5.6, nikkor 300 f9 (all 3 on boards) a sekonic light meter and cable release and 5 holders. I put the holders in the end pockets but you could probably put a few in the main compartment but it was getting a bit tight.