Page 52 of 655 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152552 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

I've used that data in the field and it has worked well for me. At 10s and beyond, I cut back development by about N-1/2

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I've used that data in the field and it has worked well for me. At 10s and beyond, I cut back development by about N-1/2
    Thanks Andrew!

I noticed that several sites also have 8x10 x-ray film. This could be an attractive way for me to test my new 8x10 setup. Does the film load straight into standard 8x10 holders without any trimming?

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I noticed that several sites also have 8x10 x-ray film. This could be an attractive way for me to test my new 8x10 setup. Does the film load straight into standard 8x10 holders without any trimming?
    I don't have to trim the film to load it. You can't beat the price!

You can also work under a red safelight, which is nice......

Hello Guys,
    I plan to go the X-Ray film route.
    In the last couple of days, I've read the whole of this thread. Now, I'm confused.
    May I ask if you can put up a digest for me, done by the Master of the process ?
    I think this will be beneficial to everyone as a "state of the art".
    My questions are :
    1) What kind of film is best for portraiture and landscape and available in 2011, now with the near complete digital X-Ray conversion.
    2) Developing in a Ziploc bag : Detailed instructions needed, I did not get it right, sorry
    3) cutting film : as one can process with safe light on, will it be possible to cut all the stack at once using a guillotine, this way risking to scratch only the upper and lower sheets ? (I've found 24x30 cm X-Ray film for cheap which, obviouly, will need to be cut in smaller sizes)
    4) Outdated film : Will it go bad rapidly or will it be usable if past one or 2 years ? (If I buy a 100 sheet box, once cut, it will represent years of consumption and my freezer is already full... so film will be in the fridge)

Many Many thanks in advance for your help !

1. Your taste, and milage, may vary- it's cheap enough to try blue AND green.
    2. Decide if you will put the developer in the bag first, or pour it in. I can't remember what I tried. But I did mess with a sheet of film and a bag in full light, to see how it fit, how to hangle it etc. Once you get the bag sealed it's very straightforward- you can lay it flat, then flip it over for agitation etc.
    3. Do you cut regular film in a stack now? I find my guillotine makes the film drift- most folks who have reported film cutting use a rotating slide thingy, from the stationers'.
    4. at the price, so what ?? AFAIK we haven't been doing this long enough to know, but perhaps folks have tried outdated film and can report.
    Dump your angst and jump in :>)

I've only used the green sensitive in 5x7 so I can't comment on the blue or cutting down sheets to other sizes. I do develop in 1 gal freezer bags. A few things I've noticed developing with are since there is an emulsion on both sides the bags have to be perfectly dry if you will be putting the negs in 1st prior to developer. I have noticed some uneven development and strange lines in negs only when the bags were damp. I believe this to be from the emulsion swelling at different rates. I also read that that in the 1st part of development that the Negs become slightly sensitive to red and I have to agree. I have rearranged my darkroom since my addition of a new enlarger ( I haven't even had a chance to use it at all since getting it) and my wet side is closer to my safe light and on the last batch of negs I have gotten some additional exposures on a couple negs. The only reason I know this is because 2 bags I accidentally left with the little white spot for writing on up and I could see it in the neg. I will be moving my safe light to help eliminate this. I've also read that a presoak is needed with X-ray film. I really havent had any issues yet but Im planning on trying it once I have some time off from work. I've been on 7 12hr shifts for awhile. I'm drained and dreaming of fishing and shooting some pics. Not sure how much of either I will be able to do with the holidays coming up.

I used to develop xray film in a large ziplock bag (and I believe I gave instructions on this thread) but now prefer flat-bottomed trays. I have never gotten scratches or scuff marks (intermittent agitation), using pyrocat-hd.

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

This 14x17 was taken with the 21in RR Toronto lens that I bought from CCharisson . Again thanks to Dan, the opportunity for me to own this wonderful lens.

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Two from today. It's cold out, so I'm doing table top in a little warm room.
    The (large) bottle with CXS regular green (stripped on one side)
    The other with CXS 'latitude' green. This one was a fight to get anything. I'm gonna try it on regular green and see if it looks different.

George