Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Great app for managing your Film Holders

Re: Great app for managing your Film Holders

I'm brand new to LF, so far I have shot 6 sheets of film, currently I spend as much time making notes as setting up the camera but those notes certainly help, my images are getting better.

jscottyk

Any word on why this app went away, and/or if it's coming back?
    J. Scott King
    Austin, Texas

I'd love to know as well. Upgraded iphone and lost the app. I really like the ability to print out sheets with all my data after a shoot. HELP!!!!

Hi, I programmed a replacement app. You find it under the name "filmholders" on the Apple app store.
    Please give me feedback if you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghaak View Post
    Hi, I programmed a replacement app. You find it under the name "filmholders" on the Apple app store.
    Please give me feedback if you use it.
    Hi Guido. I've installed your app on an iPhone 11 and it looks like it's going to be quite useful. One question. At the start, it asked me to input a camera name and a film. I entered an Arca-Swiss 4x5 and Ilford HP5+. However, it's not clear to me what the purpose of this information is. It doesn't reappear when I create a holder. What am I missing?

I've downloaded your app, I appreciate the effort and I think it can be useful. I understand that as soon you enter all your filmholders you can get the most of it.

I have 4 LF cameras, 2 4x5" and 2 5x7" with reducing backs. I have 4x5", 9x12, 5x7" and 13x18 holders.

There are my observations

When I try to enter folders there is no information on its size: On a 5x7 camera you can put 5x7, 13x18 and Half Plate holders. On a 4x5" camera you can put 4x5" and 9x12 holders. On a 8x10" camera your choice is 8x10" and 18x24 holders.

Cameras have different backs, so for my 13x18 Technika I have a 4x5" back too so I need to record the back used and the metric or american size of film.

Hi,
    it is used when you expose the film in the holder. Then you can choose with which camera you exposed the film (under “Further Annotations”). The film type is used when you load the holder. Then you choose one of the films.
    One user asked me to provide such a camera database but you can also just input free text. The camera database is not required. The film types are.
    Hope that helps.
    Best regards,
    Guido

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Hi Guido. I've installed your app on an iPhone 11 and it looks like it's going to be quite useful. One question. At the start, it asked me to input a camera name and a film. I entered an Arca-Swiss 4x5 and Ilford HP5+. However, it's not clear to me what the purpose of this information is. It doesn't reappear when I create a holder. What am I missing?
    Last edited by ghaak; 29-Nov-2021 at 00:11.

Hi,
    thanks for your input!
    I will work on this for the next version!
    Best regards,
    Guido

Quote Originally Posted by Delfi_r View Post
    I've downloaded your app, I appreciate the effort and I think it can be useful. I understand that as soon you enter all your filmholders you can get the most of it.

I have 4 LF cameras, 2 4x5" and 2 5x7" with reducing backs. I have 4x5", 9x12, 5x7" and 13x18 holders.

There are my observations

When I try to enter folders there is no information on its size: On a 5x7 camera you can put 5x7, 13x18 and Half Plate holders. On a 4x5" camera you can put 4x5" and 9x12 holders. On a 8x10" camera your choice is 8x10" and 18x24 holders.

Cameras have different backs, so for my 13x18 Technika I have a 4x5" back too so I need to record the back used and the metric or american size of film.

Hi,
    thanks for your input!
    I will work on this for the next version!
    Best regards,
    Guido
    You should make the film holder size independent of the camera, so you can use hoders of different sizes on the camera (Up its size). This way you can have choice of holders.

I understand that now I can make a 9x12 camera and using there 9x12 holders even if the app says they are 4x5" holders. But it's more elegant if you have metric denominations.

Hi,
    it is used when you expose the film in the holder. Then you can choose with which camera you exposed the film (under “Further Annotations”). The film type is used when you load the holder. Then you choose one of the films.
    One user asked me to provide such a camera database but you can also just input free text. The camera database is not required. The film types are.
    Hope that helps.
    Best regards,
    Guido

Hi Guido,

I've figured out the problem. I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro Max. In the first screen capture below, the film type is off-screen and not visible. In the second, I've made the film type (Ilford HP5+) partially visible by dragging to the left.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a problem that needs to be fixed?

I'd just like to add, having looked at your website, that I realise that you're doing this out of interest rather than for a living. I'm reluctant to raise questions about the app, and I hope that I'm not being a nuisance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0950.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	221756

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0951.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	221757