Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Platinum galleries/collectors?

Platinum galleries/collectors?

Hi there,

We plan on taking a 3 week swing down the western US next fall on a quest to experience platinum/palladium prints and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to where to go.

I live a wee bit below Alaska's panhandle, so have never seen or held a platinum print in my hand. My goal is to get a visceral sense of the possibilities before I start clawing my way up the Pt/Pd learning curve.

Can you recommend any galleries that represent Pt/Pd photographers, or collectors who might be willing to spark a flame?

Thanks.

Re: Platinum galleries/collectors?

You might want to check out the David Brookover Gallery in Jackson, WY. He has platinum prints up to 24x30.

Also consider visiting museums/exhibits of historical photography when platinum printing was popular; probably 1890's - pre-WW1. Not sure what worth visiting on the west coast.

If you'll be able to travel as far south as Tucson, AZ, then a visit to the Center for Creative Photography on the University of Arizona campus should be part of your itinerary.

In addition to whatever prints they have on public display, you can also make an appointment -- https://ccp.arizona.edu/collections/research-archives -- to view pretty much any of the many Pt/Pd prints in their voluminous archives.

And if you ask nicely, I'm sure the CCP's staff will happily help you select the best examples of the genre for your review.

Enjoy!

Auddii, have you tried that recently? I live in Tucson and go to the Center quite a bit. Know several people that work there, own the Leica that was ownd by the UofA president that started the Center. About 5 years ago they changed their policy and do NOT allow the layman to ask for a special print viewing. I wrote letters to most of the senior staff, still listed on that link. I explained that I was a "scholar" of early american photography, shoot LF and wetplate, and have many rare lenses that were used by some of the photographers in their holdings. Their answer back was basically, "sorry, you are not 'scholarly' enough, we'll think about our policies and determine if we should review them...blah...blah...blah"

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Auddii, have you tried that recently? I live in Tucson and go to the Center quite a bit. Know several people that work there, own the Leica that was ownd by the UofA president that started the Center. About 5 years ago they changed their policy and do NOT allow the layman to ask for a special print viewing. I wrote letters to most of the senior staff, still listed on that link. I explained that I was a "scholar" of early american photography, shoot LF and wetplate, and have many rare lenses that were used by some of the photographers in their holdings. Their answer back was basically, "sorry, you are not 'scholarly' enough, we'll think about our policies and determine if we should review them...blah...blah...blah"
    Yes, I have done exactly what I proposed -- twice, in fact -- but the last time was in 2013, so if their policy has changed since then, it's obviously news to me.

Which, of course, sucks, as I very much enjoyed the experience.

Also, anyone with more than a passing interest in photography who finds themselves in Tucson, AZ with time on their hands should also make it a point to check out The Etherton Gallery, which is just a short drive from the CCP.

Perhaps you should think not just of galleries and collectors, but also practitioners who might be willing to have you drop by for a visit. Sure, it will be wonderful to see work that has made it to galleries, but given that your interest is in figuring out whether Pt/Pd is right for you, it might be equally useful to talk with people who are doing it and can both show you some of their work and share their thoughts about both inspiration and the ups and downs of the craft in practice.

Ray Bidegain has an all-platinum show coming up at the Camerawork Gallery in Portland: https://thecameraworkgallery.org/upc...hibitions-cwg/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    Ray Bidegain has an all-platinum show coming up at the Camerawork Gallery in Portland: https://thecameraworkgallery.org/upc...hibitions-cwg/
    Ray's prints are lovely - I have a few. Although Murray's trip isn't until next fall, perhaps he can time it to coincide with one of Ray's workshops or show-and-tell sessions, or otherwise get in touch with Ray to arrange some sort of get-together.

https://www.raybidegain.com/