Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper For Contact Printing

Paper For Contact Printing

Which papers are recommended for contact printing large format negatives?

New Orleans, LA

Re: Paper For Contact Printing

These are the only traditional silver chloride papers I am aware of. (In the tradition of the papers Weston, etc. printed on.)

https://www.lodima.org/photographic-paper/

http://www.adox.de/Photo/lupex-contact-printing-paper/

Or any of the alt processes i.e. Pt/Pd, cyanotype, kallitype, etc. in which you make the emulsion yourself.

Any optical enlarging type paper can be used for contacts.

If just starting, out buy the cheapest sample RC.

I'm happy with my contact prints on simple Ilford RC MGIV and FB Classic, RC is cheap enough to experiment at will.

Variable contrast enlarging papers are useful with contact printing because the dodging and burning we might apply under the enlarger is much more difficult with contact prints.

Why not start with the Silver Chloride contact printing papers to begin your journey? Might as well get used to handling and processing the papers that should give you the best result.
    Check out http://michaelandpaula.com/mp/Azo_Writings.html and read from a master of contact printing with these papers.

The process is simple and good results are to be had if you have a workflow that is consistent.

Good prints can be made with any paper but those made specifically for contact printing do have an edge over the general purpose offerings. Why not take advantage of it at the start?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Adox Lupex is about 2.5 times as expensive per sheet as most other papers, one gets quite a bit more practice out of their money that way.....

I'll revive this thread...

I'm interested in Adox Lupex paper. Can anyone comment on it? What's the tone / tint and texture like? How does it compare to Azo / Lodima? I see the latter is mostly out of stock, and with Michael's passing do you think they will make anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    These are the only traditional silver chloride papers I am aware of. (In the tradition of the papers Weston, etc. printed on.)

https://www.lodima.org/photographic-paper/

http://www.adox.de/Photo/lupex-contact-printing-paper/

Or any of the alt processes i.e. Pt/Pd, cyanotype, kallitype, etc. in which you make the emulsion yourself.
    To that list I'll throw in handmade silver chloride paper (and chloride-bromide paper), arguably the newest "alt" process. However. I'll also second the suggestion of contact printing on Ilford Multigrade. Flexible, easy, and lovely.
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to the Craft of Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Dry Plates, and Film

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    ....I'm interested in Adox Lupex paper....What's the tone / tint and texture like?...
    I've processed it only in ADOX MCC Developer. The tone was extremely neutral with only a very, very slight hint of green that is readily eliminated by slight selenium toning. As for texture, every darkroom paper manufacturer seems to purchase the same fiber base from Schoeller, so all glossy papers today are essentially identical in terms of texture. If you've seen glossy Multigrade Classic or MCC 110, you've seen the texture of LUPEX.

...How does it compare to Azo / Lodima?...
    Azo in its final incarnation was single weight, exhibited color that could be varied widely using different developers and had a somewhat less textured surface. My only experience with Lodima involved early production that flaked off the base quite a bit, so I didn't pursue it beyond that. Others have reported substantial batch to batch variations in subsequent runs.

...with Michael's passing do you think they will make anymore?
    I've no idea. Perhaps you could contact Paula for a definitive answer.