Thread: Making ground glass???

Making ground glass???

Hi,
    I'd like to try my hand at making a couple of GG's for 8X10...

Any "secrets to success" to share???

Thanks,

Steve K

Re: Making ground glass???

I think patience is the first order of the day. And more patience. Do it while watching TV.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Hi,
    I'd like to try my hand at making a couple of GG's for 8X10...

Any "secrets to success" to share???

Thanks,

Steve K
    Steve, there are a few threads of interest noted at the bottom of the current thread, in the "Similar Threads" section. This link is often sited: https://www.dokasphotos.com/techniques/ground_glass/
    cheers
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomwilliams View Post
    Steve, there are a few threads of interest noted at the bottom of the current thread, in the "Similar Threads" section. This link is often sited: https://www.dokasphotos.com/techniques/ground_glass/
    cheers
    Tom
    Interesting link!!! I had looked at several that had the silica carbide as the media and about the same process, but this was the first article that suggested using aluminium oxide for the media that produces a smoother, brighter glass surface... Maybe this is what some premium GG makers use???

Thanks for that, and keep the tips coming... ;-)

Steve K

It's not difficult. I just used a large piece of picture-frame glass, a smaller piece of glass as the tool, and some 600 grit silicon carbide. For $8 I bought a pound of 600 grit SiC from the local jewelry supplies / lapidary / rock shop. This is like a 100 year supply of grit. It would be better to have the tool be 1/4" thick glass so it's easier to hold, but I didn't have any so I used thin glass, just be careful when holding it. The two pieces of glass with a water-grit slurry will tend to adhere to to each other, so always slide them apart sideways rather than trying to pry/lift them apart.

Cutting glass to any exact camera size is more difficult than grinding

Most 8X10 GG cameras are exactly 8X10, but not all

I keep a few glass from Home Depot on hand

https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-x-1...0810/202091040

It IS exactly 8X10
    Tin Can

Tin Can

Update/success!!!

Finally got around to making 2 8X10 glasses, and came out very well!!!

Some tips;

Used 2 new cheap picture frame glasses and ground them together... Was concerned they would be hard to grind together if they got sticky (and maybe need a handle of some kind on the top), but they moved together like butter between... When it started to get a little sticky, it was obviously time to re-wet... I used a spray bottle with water and a drop of dishwashing detergent, and the spray evenly covered the surfaces, so a hot tip...

Originally made a waterproof board with popsicle sticks (like an easel) to hold down, but the treated sticks swelled up anyway and started to interfere with the grinding... Switched to a stack of newsprint, and it worked fine...

Used the linked article's suggestion to mix the 500 grit aluminium oxide for a first grind... Like butter!!! Took about 20 minutes to get it mostly even, but a couple of thin spots so continued to grind for about an hour for good luck...

Finish was great, like an expensive GG, but it did seem to have a slight snowy haze to it so went to the ultrafine aluminum oxide stage that came with my grit order... It cleared the haze quickly, but got sticky soon after, and would wash away with the spray easily, but got the result fast...

Had a couple of minor scratches on the smooth side of bottom glass, but figured it came from doing it outside a day after a major wind storm and some grit way present during grinding underneath... (but still very usable, better than some old beater GG's I have used...)

Haven't shot with them yet, but very much brighter than old (cleaned) glasses I have... Very fine grain when examined with a higher powered loupe and clear between grains... Reminds me of looking at a developed clear negative where just some background grain is present...

I will do it again soon for all my cameras!!! And a child could do it!!! ;-)

Thanks for all the input, and may your holidays be "satin snow"!!!

Steve K