Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this Bromide Drag? Help!

Question Is this Bromide Drag? Help!

First post here so apologies if I'm doing it wrong.

Can someone help me identify the waterfall marks in these negs. Conditions are:

TMax100 4x5
    Patterson Tank
    Ilford Mod 54 MK27 Processor 4x5
    Rodinal 1:80
    1 hr semi stand dev @ 68 degrees
    8ml Rodinal in 1000ml water
    30 secs ag at start, 3 inversions at 30 mins, 3 inversions at end
    ilford stop and fix 1:9, 7-8mins
    photoflo
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 8.23.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	208622

Andrew

Re: Is this Bromide Drag? Help!

These look more like light leaks to me: bromide drag will flow from the highlights in the image, these seem to be coming from specific places on the camera.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a photo of the developing hanger that you used to process the negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by horseman89 View Post
    Ilford Mod 54 MK27 Processor 4x5
    Rodinal 1:80
    1 hr semi stand dev @ 68 degrees
    There's your problem.
    This is NOT A LIGHT LEAK as quine and popdoc suggested. When I started out with 4x5 I also used a Mod54 and tried stand development with rodinal, with exactly the same problems that you witnessed. They went away as soon as I cleaned up my act and reverted to normal agitation.

Stand development is asking for trouble like this. If you must, use semi-stand with agitations every 15 or 20 minutes or so, but you may still get problems with unevenness depending on the film format, developer and reel/tank geometry. It's finicky. It can work OK if everything lines up, but many of us have bumped our heads.

So in short: give it a try with normal agitation, so every minute or so. The problem WILL go away.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    There's your problem.
    This is NOT A LIGHT LEAK as quine and popdoc suggested. When I started out with 4x5 I also used a Mod54 and tried stand development with rodinal, with exactly the same problems that you witnessed. They went away as soon as I cleaned up my act and reverted to normal agitation.

Stand development is asking for trouble like this. If you must, use semi-stand with agitations every 15 or 20 minutes or so, but you may still get problems with unevenness depending on the film format, developer and reel/tank geometry. It's finicky. It can work OK if everything lines up, but many of us have bumped our heads.

So in short: give it a try with normal agitation, so every minute or so. The problem WILL go away.
    The easiest way to check is to reload the developed film into the MOD45. If the unevenness lines up with the where the film is held on the MOD there's your problem. If you think it's a light leak, it's in the camera not the holder as your rebates aren't fogged. Check the camera bellows as a first step.

The pattern will line up with the clamps of the mod54. Again, I've had exactly the same issue a few years ago. There's no doubt about the cause. Stand development, at least with rodinal or pyrocat, does not work well with this development equipment.

There's your problem.

Thank you! Sometimes is worse than others but I will try more frequent agitation. Negs are already fairly flat so might use a bump anyhow. Appreciate the insight.

The pattern will line up with the clamps of the mod54. Again, I've had exactly the same issue a few years ago. There's no doubt about the cause. Stand development, at least with rodinal or pyrocat, does not work well with this development equipment.
    Any other equipment you'd recommend for stand?

Can we assume you developed 4 sheets 4x5 at one go?

With 8 ml Rodinol per 1000 ml for an hour

Some think Rodinol needs at least 10 ml for 80 sq inches

and it is fully exhausted well before 20 minutes
    Tin Can