Thread: Roman Loranc -- what paper?

Question Roman Loranc -- what paper?

Anyone know what paper Roman Loranc uses?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Drew Wiley

Re: Roman Loranc -- what paper?

Good question. I noticed that after the selenium and brown toner the gold toner tends to go golden or yellow in the highlights rather than ruddy or reddish.

No, I spoke with him about his printing once but I forget. Ask him, he's friendly enough.

The Sept/Oct 2002 issue of View Camera mentions Agfa and Ilford MG with sepia and/or selenium toning...and TXP with a Nikkor 210mm lens.

In one of his KQED videos, I think its the one where he talks about photographing in the Cosumnes River Preserve, which I cant seem to find, so this is from memory, he talks about his approach to photography, and states that he keeps it ''simple'' by only using ''one film and one paper'' ie Tri-X and ''Ilford paper'' he also said that ''there are no good papers'' nowadays, and mentions his dislike of the ''Greenish'' tone of the paper he uses, he goes on to explains that he gets around this by toning. I think he uses some form of split toning in Selenium, but cant be sure on that.

If you should find it would you post up the link?

I bought a print of Roman's and had the pleasure of a nice chat with him in Carmel a few years back at the Weston Gallery. Roman uses Ilford Mutli Grade paper toned in a mixture of sepia and selenium depending on the image. At the risk of stating the very obvious, his using Ilford paper has very little to do with the beauty of his prints. You can "blame" his shear talent for that.

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    In one of his KQED videos, I think its the one where he talks about photographing in the Cosumnes River Preserve, which I cant seem to find, so this is from memory, he talks about his approach to photography, and states that he keeps it ''simple'' by only using ''one film and one paper'' ie Tri-X and ''Ilford paper'' he also said that ''there are no good papers'' nowadays, and mentions his dislike of the ''Greenish'' tone of the paper he uses, he goes on to explains that he gets around this by toning. I think he uses some form of split toning in Selenium, but cant be sure on that.

If you should find it would you post up the link?
    Here's the link. It's one of my favority videos about photography (nothing in it about materials, though except that he develops in Pyro).

http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/sp...jsp?essid=7081
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
    I bought a print of Roman's and had the pleasure of a nice chat with him in Carmel a few years back at the Weston Gallery. Roman uses Ilford Mutli Grade paper toned in a mixture of sepia and selenium depending on the image. At the risk of stating the very obvious, his using Ilford paper has very little to do with the beauty of his prints. You can "blame" his shear talent for that.
    I was at Photography West Gallery yesterday, and his prints are indeed beautiful.

At the risk of being off topic, PWG is working with David Gardner in the production of Roman's next book. It should be available in August.

http://www.photographywest.com/pages...print_set.html

Thanks Bill, after a search I found this interview with Roman, this is possibly where I heard him speak about 'one film one paper', if not, I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you haven't already had the pleasure. I've read a interview or two at some point too so maybe thats where I got the info. If I can dig them up I'll post them up.

Scroll down to his ''Crucified Landscape'' photograph and you'll find the interview.

http://www.freephotoresources.com/ph...ng-landscapes/