Thread: Developing time difference betwen HP5+ and TriX320 in D76 (Massive dev Charts)

Developing time difference betwen HP5+ and TriX320 in D76 (Massive dev Charts)

Hello everybody,

I am using a SP445 tank to process my film sheets and I am using Massive dev charts app on my tablet for the processing time.

So far I have been processing HP5+ in D76 (1+1) for which I use a 13 minutes development time with continuous agitations the first minutes and then 10 seconds agitations every minutes afterwards.
    And I am very happy with the results.
    I have a bunch of TriX 320 I would like to process and when reading the suggested time on Massive Dev Charts, I got a little unsure
    They give, for the TriX 320: 9 minutes in D76 (1:1) but when I look on Kodak data sheet, it is written a 12minutes 45seconds developing time.
    So now, I am a little bit confused and quite don’t know which one to follow.

Could you enlighten me please?
    Thank you very much in advance for your answer
    Regards

Alain

Re: Developing time difference betwen HP5+ and TriX320 in D76 (Massive dev Charts)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Hello everybody,

I am using a SP445 tank to process my film sheets and I am using Massive dev charts app on my tablet for the processing time.

So far I have been processing HP5+ in D76 (1+1) for which I use a 13 minutes development time with continuous agitations the first minutes and then 10 seconds agitations every minutes afterwards.
    And I am very happy with the results.
    I have a bunch of TriX 320 I would like to process and when reading the suggested time on Massive Dev Charts, I got a little unsure
    They give, for the TriX 320: 9 minutes in D76 (1:1) but when I look on Kodak data sheet, it is written a 12minutes 45seconds developing time.
    So now, I am a little bit confused and quite don’t know which one to follow.

Could you enlighten me please?
    Thank you very much in advance for your answer
    Regards

Alain
    The massive dev chart is riddled with errors of fact or transcription. You are almost always better off with the most up to date manufacturer's data sheet for the particular film. F4017 in your case.

Re: Developing time difference betwen HP5+ and TriX320 in D76 (Massive dev Charts)

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    The massive dev chart is riddled with errors of fact or transcription. You are almost always better off with the most up to date manufacturer's data sheet for the particular film. F4017 in your case.
    Oh, that is good to know. I was trusting them as the time provided for the HP5+ is correct. And i am happy with the results...
    Thank you for the info

I like the massive dev chart for all the unusual films, developers, and combinations they provide. I use them regularly for that, but would never consider going there if there is manufacturer information for the combination I want to use. Manufacturer information is not always based on exactly the same standards, but generally consistent within the brand. The massive dev chart seems to be based on anything somebody tried and got a picture with.

Oddities with manufacturer data seem worst when they are crossing brands. Kodak has had some really odd times listed for Ilford film in Kodak developers. In those cases trying to find some consensus is helpful.