Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

Re: New FLM Ultralight Tripod for 8x10 and smaller

Back from the forest. Burned three sheets with three different lenses, all shutter speeds between 1/2s and 1/25s.
    I know I also sell this tripod, but I gotta say, it's working better than I'd hoped.
    Very easy to carry for the 2 miles there and back, very quick to open and most important, very steady throughout.

More testing (and hiking) is needed, but I think that if this can handle 80-90% of my regular 8x10 work, it's a big winner.
    Have a big beefy tripod for those critical times, or when working from the car, and use the CP22 for most of my regular work.

I've been hoping someone would dare to make a 2-section CF tripod for years - well done on getting FLM to give it a go! I take it that the initial batch will only be available from you & only for the North America region?

I'm now wondering if FLM would consider making the same sort of 2-section tripod on the 38mm leg profile.

Up

and...

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    I've been hoping someone would dare to make a 2-section CF tripod for years - well done on getting FLM to give it a go! I take it that the initial batch will only be available from you & only for the North America region?

I'm now wondering if FLM would consider making the same sort of 2-section tripod on the 38mm leg profile.
    Tin Can

Eric Woodbury

Reading this, I can't wait to get mine. Expected here as soon as it clears customs. Never thought I'd be able to get a custom made tripod. Wow. What a treat. I'll post my review soon.

Thanks for all your help on this, Ari.

-ew-

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post

Thanks! If it does well, this tripod will be available in Europe in the not-too-distant future. You can also get one from me, but shipping to the UK will run about $95.00.
    For years, I've been mulling a CP42-M2, even thicker tubes than a CP38. And for that, I think we'd have to keep the height and leg sections about the same as the CP22.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Reading this, I can't wait to get mine. Expected here as soon as it clears customs. Never thought I'd be able to get a custom made tripod. Wow. What a treat. I'll post my review soon.

Thanks for all your help on this, Ari.

-ew-
    My pleasure, Eric. I'm very happy we could turn your need for a lightweight, rigid tripod into...an actual tripod!

Drew Wiley

Any kind of ballhead would be a non-starter for me. It's the blatant weak link in the whole setup. The mere fact you use one for a camera of that dimension makes me skeptical of any realistic assessment about the worthiness of the tripod itself, which should be objectively tested independently of the head, for its own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Any kind of ballhead would be a non-starter for me. It's the blatant weak link in the whole setup. The mere fact you use one for a camera of that dimension makes me skeptical of any realistic assessment about the worthiness of the tripod itself, which should be objectively tested independently of the head, for its own sake.
    No surprises here.
    Moving along...

Ari,
    Is this something you plan to continue selling beyond the original 8?

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    Ari,
    Is this something you plan to continue selling beyond the original 8?
    Yes, Will, if enough people want it.

I use a ries head with FLM Berlin 38 tripod with its bowl. It can handle my 11x14 camera.