Thread: My First 8x10 Image

My First 8x10 Image

I recently received, after a long wait, my 4x5 and 8x10 field cameras from Intrepid. The 4x5 is a delight, far lighter than packing around my Linhof, but like any light woodie it has its quirks. The 8x10 format, period, is NOT like 4x5 or 5x7, both of which I am familiar. The 8x10 format is a monster, and has problems that I've never dealt with, from loading the massive holders, to set up, to depth of field issues with those long lenses, and others that I'm still coming to grips with. The camera itself? I know no other until recently when I bought an 8x10 Cambo to play with. Not even terminal insanity can convince me to go bigger. As a matter of fact, the jury is still out on my continuing with 8x10.

In any case, I will keep working at it, and am posting the first image I processed with the Intrepid. Its an "Old Sawmill" at the Ens farm in central British Columbia. Intrepid 8x10 camera, Ilford FP4 film, 300mm Fuji-L f5.6 lens, 1/15 sec at f13 or so, touch of a lens swing (movements soooo important on this format!!) developed in Pyrocat HD. Slight horizontal crop at bottom. Should have used a yellow filter to differentiate some of the foliage, but better luck next time, eh?

Thanks for looking in.

Re: My First 8x10 Image

That's a solid first effort!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The image looks fine. Great start.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Well done!
    Keep at it with 8x10!
    To me, the sky might benefit from a bit of burning in. (I'm viewing on a cell phone, it might just be that)
    One tip I've come up with, when I use a contact print frame, I indicate the horizon with a bit of masking tape on the frame.
    Makes burning in skies easier.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Lucas View Post
    I recently received, after a long wait, my 4x5 and 8x10 field cameras from Intrepid. The 4x5 is a delight, far lighter than packing around my Linhof, but like any light woodie it has its quirks. The 8x10 format, period, is NOT like 4x5 or 5x7, both of which I am familiar. The 8x10 format is a monster, and has problems that I've never dealt with, from loading the massive holders, to set up, to depth of field issues with those long lenses, and others that I'm still coming to grips with. The camera itself? I know no other until recently when I bought an 8x10 Cambo to play with. Not even terminal insanity can convince me to go bigger. As a matter of fact, the jury is still out on my continuing with 8x10.

In any case, I will keep working at it, and am posting the first image I processed with the Intrepid. Its an "Old Sawmill" at the Ens farm in central British Columbia. Intrepid 8x10 camera, Ilford FP4 film, 300mm Fuji-L f5.6 lens, 1/15 sec at f13 or so, touch of a lens swing (movements soooo important on this format!!) developed in Pyrocat HD. Slight horizontal crop at bottom. Should have used a yellow filter to differentiate some of the foliage, but better luck next time, eh?

Thanks for looking in.

Looks good. Hows it look at 32x40?

Let me join the chorus: keep going with the 8x10. It'll get easier the more you shoot and the level of detail in your negs will blow your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Looks good. Hows it look at 32x40?
    My max print I've made at home is 16x20, which is as large an easel as I have. I outsource anything larger.

To answer the question, it looks very good at 16x20, so I can only imagine anything larger!

thanks to one and all for your replies!