Thread: Exposing A Stouffer T2115 Onto Film

Exposing A Stouffer T2115 Onto Film

I want to do some film tests so I was thinking of exposing my Stouffer step tablet onto a piece of 4x5 film.

The only Stouffer I have is the T2115 model which is the thin 21 step version T2115

The idea I came up which nearly worked was ...

I got an old piece of 4x5 which had been exposed to daylight and developed so it was dense, cut a slot out if it in the middle the same width as the Stouffer and slid them all into the 4x5 film holder.

What I forgot to realise is when I came to make the exposure and pulled out the dark slide, there was nothing holding the Stouffer in place so it just fell out

I cant really put any clear tape over it because I think thats going to affect the density during the exposure.

Anyone with more brains than me go any ideas?.

PS. For love nor Money you just cant seem to buy the 4x5 Stouffer in the UK which would make life a tone easier. I contacted Stouffer but after Tax, Import duties, Post office handling charges, it makes it nearly £90

Re: Exposing A Stouffer T2115 Onto Film

I cant really put any clear tape over it because I think thats going to affect the density during the exposure.
    You can at least tape the two ends: the one with the Stouffer name, and the one with the densest patch (presumably will not be within the useful range)

But maybe with just the two ends taped there will be poor contact in the middle of the range, leading to photometric errors. You can also tape the long sides, provided the tape overlaps the wedge by just 2-3 millimeters. arrange the tape on the Stouffer wedge with lights on, on a clean smooth surface. In darkness, lift the assembly (stouffer+adhesive tape on all four edges) and stick it to the film. Careful and slow when you remove the wedge+tape after exposure: risk of tribo-luminescence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    You can at least tape the two ends: the one with the Stouffer name, and the one with the densest patch (presumably will not be within the useful range)

But maybe with just the two ends taped there will be poor contact in the middle of the range, leading to photometric errors. You can also tape the long sides, provided the tape overlaps the wedge by just 2-3 millimeters. arrange the tape on the Stouffer wedge with lights on, on a clean smooth surface. In darkness, lift the assembly (stouffer+adhesive tape on all four edges) and stick it to the film. Careful and slow when you remove the wedge+tape after exposure: risk of tribo-luminescence.
    I will try that, never thought about loosing the 2 ends of the wedge, as you say not really useful

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    I want to do some film tests so I was thinking of exposing my Stouffer step tablet onto a piece of 4x5 film.

The only Stouffer I have is the T2115 model which is the thin 21 step version T2115

The idea I came up which nearly worked was ...

I got an old piece of 4x5 which had been exposed to daylight and developed so it was dense, cut a slot out if it in the middle the same width as the Stouffer and slid them all into the 4x5 film holder.

What I forgot to realise is when I came to make the exposure and pulled out the dark slide, there was nothing holding the Stouffer in place so it just fell out

Anyone with more brains than me go any ideas?.

PS. For love nor Money you just cant seem to buy the 4x5 Stouffer in the UK which would make life a tone easier. I contacted Stouffer but after Tax, Import duties, Post office handling charges, it makes it nearly £90
    I am not sure this is what you're looking for exactly, and it may not include other costs, but this indicates 57USD + 10USD shipping to UK:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2296...1911949700201/

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Get a sensitometer.

Tape the Stouffer strip to a 4x5 piece of black construction paper with a stripe cut out of it to let the light through the strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Tape the Stouffer strip to a 4x5 piece of black construction paper with a stripe cut out of it to let the light through the strip.
    Does the Stouffer have to be in tight contact with the film