Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wollie 210 - WF Raptar

Wollie 210 - WF Raptar

Hi guys,

For all of you looking for a bit of a wider lens for your 8x10... take a look at this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Wollensak-21...QQcmdZViewItem

This auction is being held by the "Master of Storytelling - Dagormeister77!"

I bought one of these babies from him and had it mounted in a Copal shutter... it's a GREAT lens and certainly one of my favorites.

[I have nothing to do with the seller other than being a very satisfied buyer.]

Cheers

BTW, he's as reliable a seller as they come... great to deal with!
    Life in the fast lane!

Re: Wollie 210 - WF Raptar

I bought one from Dagor77 also. Haven't used it too much yet, but so far so good.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I bought one from Dagor77 also. Haven't used it too much yet, but so far so good.

Vaughn
    Hi Vaughn,

Give it a try... it's a great piece of glass.

Did you have it mounted in a shutter or are you using it in its original barrel?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    I bought one of these babies from him and had it mounted in a Copal shutter... it's a GREAT lens and certainly one of my favorites.
    Did you have to do anything special to mount it to a copal 1? Or was it just simply unscrew and scew onto a copal 1? I think I have a 210 Symetrigon screwed onto a copal 1 but that's for 4x5.

Hi Vaughn,

Give it a try... it's a great piece of glass.

Did you have it mounted in a shutter or are you using it in its original barrel?

Cheers
    I have made a few nice images with it (8x10). I'd use it more if it was in a shutter (can't afford to make that a priority right now). I made a cheap matboard lensboard for it -- it is so small and light. But I will probably use it more this Fall under the redwoods -- my exposures are usually in the minutes, so a shutter is not needed. I have to figure a way to attach a yellow filter on it also -- I'll have to go thru my collection of odd sized filters and filter holders to see what I can come up with. Probably something that can go on the back of the lens so I can still easily use the lenscap for a shutter.

My other wide lens in a 159mm Wollie f12.5. It is in a shutter, so I have used it a bit more...but usually for a outdoors portrait series I am doing with my three boys in which I don't mind dark fuzzy corners. But I also just got a 600mm beast of a Ronar CL that I want to use as soon as I figure a way to mount about a 6" diameter flange on a 5.5" square lensboard (actually I figured out what I am going to do...I just have to figure out how I am going to do it!) That's the long and short of it!

Vaughn

PS -- I am going to start having my boys carry some of my equipment for me -- that Ronar is such a beast! My boys are 10 now, I think I can trust them to remember they have expensive chunks of glass or holders in their daypacks -- I'll have to figure out some sort of reward/pay system, too...the little capitalists!

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Did you have to do anything special to mount it to a copal 1? Or was it just simply unscrew and scew onto a copal 1? I think I have a 210 Symetrigon screwed onto a copal 1 but that's for 4x5.
    Hi Eric,

It was costly to have the lens mounted into a shutter but I'm really glad I did it. There are lots of people out there who use the "hat trick" method of doing things without the shutter... and it works for them.

But, personally speaking, I like having my lenses mounted in shutter. So, I had Tim at www.lensn2shutter.com do the job. It wasn't inexpensive but he did a decent job of it for me.

Vaughn,

If your exposures are into the "minutes" end of things... you'd be fine with not having it in a shutter. I tend to shoot with exposure times of 1/2 second to 2 or 3 seconds and, hence, my wanting it in a shutter.

I don't often use filters so I can't suggest any way of mounting one on a barrel lens. But, I'm sure some of the other guys here on the forum may have an idea and wade in with recommendations.

The Wollie 159 is one I've been looking for but I've not seen one around for sale lately.

Let us know how things work out with mounting that 600mm beast!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Vaughn, If your exposures are into the "minutes" end of things... you'd be fine with not having it in a shutter. I tend to shoot with exposure times of 1/2 second to 2 or 3 seconds and, hence, my wanting it in a shutter.

I don't often use filters so I can't suggest any way of mounting one on a barrel lens. But, I'm sure some of the other guys here on the forum may have an idea and wade in with recommendations.

The Wollie 159 is one I've been looking for but I've not seen one around for sale lately.

Let us know how things work out with mounting that 600mm beast!

Cheers
    I don't mind barrel lenses at one second or more...since I am not shooting chromes, the latitude of the film usually covers any error in timing for those exposures of 1 to 5 seconds (for exposures more than 5 seconds, being off a part of a second doesn't really make much difference.) I have done 1/2 and 1/4 second exposures with a barrel lens -- I just have to accept that the exposure might be off by about a stop (usually too long, so usually no problem).

But as I said, most of my exposures under the redwoods (125ASA at f64 or f90) tend to be 40 seconds to 15 minutes (or longer). Long exposures like that makes one super-sensitive to wind. Every exposed hair on my body becomes a wind speed indicator!

I like yellow filters in the Fall...the Big-leaf maples, hazelwoods and some of the berries turn yellow (the only Fall color the Rewoods really get) and really pop out with a yellow filter. I rarely use filters other than that.

Good luck finding a 159mm! I was a little disappointed in its lack of sharp coverage with 8x10 -- perhaps it is just the lens I got or operator error. But what is good about it, is it got me off the kick of everything having to be sharp corner-to-corner. I do like the results I have been getting with it in the portrait series of my boys. But it is a bit of a bear to use with my Zone VI, which has a lot of bellows to scrunch up to 6 inches...not to mention it throws a pretty dark image onto the GG in the forest at f12.5!

Vaughn

I don't mind barrel lenses at one second or more...since I am not shooting chromes, the latitude of the film usually covers any error in timing for those exposures of 1 to 5 seconds (for exposures more than 5 seconds, being off a part of a second doesn't really make much difference.) I have done 1/2 and 1/4 second exposures with a barrel lens -- I just have to accept that the exposure might be off by about a stop (usually too long, so usually no problem).

But as I said, most of my exposures under the redwoods (125ASA at f64 or f90) tend to be 40 seconds to 15 minutes (or longer). Long exposures like that makes one super-sensitive to wind. Every exposed hair on my body becomes a wind speed indicator!

I like yellow filters in the Fall...the Big-leaf maples, hazelwoods and some of the berries turn yellow (the only Fall color the Rewoods really get) and really pop out with a yellow filter. I rarely use filters other than that.

Good luck finding a 159mm! I was a little disappointed in its lack of sharp coverage with 8x10 -- perhaps it is just the lens I got or operator error. But what is good about it, is it got me off the kick of everything having to be sharp corner-to-corner. I do like the results I have been getting with it in the portrait series of my boys. But it is a bit of a bear to use with my Zone VI, which has a lot of bellows to scrunch up to 6 inches...not to mention it throws a pretty dark image onto the GG in the forest at f12.5!

Vaughn
    Hi Vaughn,

15 minutes must seem like an eternity... especially with even the slightest of breezes!

Yes, those 159s are a rarity alright... one of these days I'll cross paths with one. If I come across one... great; if not - not a huge issue for me. I'll just keep watch. :>)

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Hi Vaughn,

15 minutes must seem like an eternity... especially with even the slightest of breezes!
    Cheers
    Its all relative -- I exposed one sheet of film during the last total lunar eclipse -- one exposure every 10 minutes from 1:30 am to 5 am. It did not come out like I hoped, but the experience was incredible! I'd love to have the negative I pictured in my mind, but I do not regret the experience one bit.

Then there was the time I did an hour exposure -- at the end of the hour I looked around for my darkslide and could not find the d#&% thing -- I had forgotten to pull it!

Vaughn

Its all relative -- I exposed one sheet of film during the last total lunar eclipse -- one exposure every 10 minutes from 1:30 am to 5 am. It did not come out like I hoped, but the experience was incredible! I'd love to have the negative I pictured in my mind, but I do not regret the experience one bit.

Then there was the time I did an hour exposure -- at the end of the hour I looked around for my darkslide and could not find the d#&% thing -- I had forgotten to pull it!

Vaughn
    Hi Vaughn,

You must have had a LOT of coffee on hand!

Oh YIKES! That must have made you a happy camper find the darkslide still in place!

But, I guess these things happen to the best of shooters.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!