Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest in a new Hypergon?

Re: Interest in a new Hypergon?

Chamonix Alpinist 810X has a minimum bellows draw of 60mm.

Might be interested. I almost bought an original about ten years ago. I'll have to check my camera as the don't give a minimum focus spec. (Shen-Hao FCL810 with bag bellows).

As mentioned above, what about shutter? I presume whoever buys the lens will have to source a shutter to fit.

We’ll I guess I was wrong then and the Chamonix can handle it.

I’m just also starting to think that that’s I think like 10mm full frame equivalent and that’s… yeah, incredibly wide!

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Might be interested. I almost bought an original about ten years ago. I'll have to check my camera as the don't give a minimum focus spec. (Shen-Hao FCL810 with bag bellows).

As mentioned above, what about shutter? I presume whoever buys the lens will have to source a shutter to fit.
    Yeah I was thinking the same…. I don’t think Jason will sell it with the shutter, but it would be nice if this could fit in a Copal shutter. However doesn’t that require factory shimming due to tolerances?

But would the front of the camera be in frame?

Could be kind of simulated with a 72XL. Or protractor .
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    We’ll I guess I was wrong then and the Chamonix can handle it.

I’m just also starting to think that that’s I think like 10mm full frame equivalent and that’s… yeah, incredibly wide!
    Not Chamonix 810V which has a min bellows of 95mm. A bag bellows or a recess board is needed for a 75mm lens with Chamonix 810V camera.

Corran, I wouldn’t be making a complete camera, just the lens. As a lens designer, I have no interest in producing complete cameras. I would, however, put a bug in Steve Lloyd’s ear, since I’ve worked with him on a couple projects now. He’s not involved in this project tho.

Hugo, it would be a barrel lens like the original. The optics cannot fit into any shutter without vignetting severely, as you can see in the diagram. For scale, there’s less than 1mm separation between the lenses.. just enough to clear an iris (not iris+shutter). The 8x10 lens is, iirc, 19mm diameter. Shutters just aren’t thin enough to clear the Field of View.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    This would be very interesting and at <2k for the 8x10 I’d be all over it, but I am wondering if there are a lot of cameras that can actually use these. Like my Chamonix for example can focus down to maybe 105-110mm but it’s tight — using a Nikki’s SW 120mm, for example, it doable but I can’t think of going down to 75mm…. Could recessed boards of 30mm or so and with that FOV see the edges of the front standard of the camera? I don’t know but it’s a consideration.
    You raise a good point in that a recessed lens board could be offered as an option. But it wouldn’t recess very far at all. Best to drop the front rail or run the whole camera to the front of the rail like you can on a field camera or 2D (for example).
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Sorry, I meant the user/buyer might be best to build a camera, I didn't mean you. I might have to email Zach from Mercury Camera and see what he's able to do.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Not Chamonix 810V which has a min bellows of 95mm. A bag bellows or a recess board is needed for a 75mm lens with Chamonix 810V camera.
    But could you mount a 75 on any of the Chamonix 8x10 or WP cameras without the bed and/or the ends of the "feet" ending up inside the field of view?

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Corran, I wouldn’t be making a complete camera, just the lens. As a lens designer, I have no interest in producing complete cameras. I would, however, put a bug in Steve Lloyd’s ear, since I’ve worked with him on a couple projects now. He’s not involved in this project tho.

Hugo, it would be a barrel lens like the original. The optics cannot fit into any shutter without vignetting severely, as you can see in the diagram. For scale, there’s less than 1mm separation between the lenses.. just enough to clear an iris (not iris+shutter). The 8x10 lens is, iirc, 19mm diameter. Shutters justcaren’t thin enough to clear the Field of View.

You raise a good point in that a recessed lens board could be offered as an option. But it wouldn’t recess very far at all. Best to drop the front rail or run the whole camera to the front of the rail like you can on a field camera or 2D (for example).
    If a lens cap can't be used, a Sinar auto shutter may work.