Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retaining ring or workaround

Retaining ring or workaround

Just picked up a 135mm f4.7 Wollensak Raptar. Price was $10 and it works okay except that no retaining ring was present. I measure the thread diameter at 33.5mm. Are these retaining rings specific to a brand and type? Are they available anyplace or are they very hard to find?
    Regardless, I will figure out a solution, but it would be nice to have a regular retaining ring.
    The retaining ring from my 90 f6.8 Angulon is close but a bit too small.

Re: Retaining ring or workaround

The rings are specific to the shutter. Look here for what you need http://skgrimes.com/products/mountin...-stock-flanges

Since I make my own lens-boards, cut from Masonite...I think (old clip-boards I get at yard sales), if I am making one for a lens that has no retaining ring, I cut the hole in the lens-board just a bit small, then with a rounded file I enlarge the hole until it is just large enough for me to screw the lens (or shutter) into it, and the threads cut into the Masonite, making a nice firm mounting. I might be hesitant to do that with a large heavy lens, but I have some smaller lenses that have been mounted that way and used for many years.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    Just picked up a 135mm f4.7 Wollensak Raptar. I measure the thread diameter at 33.5mm.
    A great work-around are external retaining rings https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bo...9638/202210088 illustration). They work!

Surf the 'net for exact fit. Order one slightly smaller than 33.5mm

Dental floss!

Wind it tightly around the threads in the correct clockwise direction until it is good enough.

Then tie a knot or drop of glue.

I only recomend this for $10 lens...

Don't ask me how to fix a flat tire in the middle of nowhere.
    Tin Can

Thanks all. I'm leaning toward the 'hole just the right size' and 'dental floss' solution. Benefits are no extra expense and it's renewable.
    On more complete examination this units shutter is.....well put kindly, a bit lacking. Since I'm only messing about with photo paper negatives at a nominal ISO 6, I've locked the shutter open and will stop well down and just cover/uncover the lens for the correct time.

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    Thanks all. I'm leaning toward the 'hole just the right size' and 'dental floss' solution. Benefits are no extra expense and it's renewable.
    Yeah, the $1.75 snap ring is too expensive.

That snap ring is a great idea. Don’t need to apply that solution at this time, but would never have thought of that. Love the LF Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it's too hard to find on Saturday night, and few actually have a 'real' hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Yeah, the $1.75 snap ring is too expensive.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    No, it's too hard to find on Saturday night, and few actually have a 'real' hardware store.
    That's true. The MEGA stores, Lowes and HD are useless for oddball stuff. Fortunately in our town there is a hardware store that is local and been here since the stone age. They have everything! We also have Tacoma Screw, they have almost any fastener you can think of, either in their Olympia location where I live or at their main place in Tacoma. They probably have the snap rings too.