Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service an Ilex shutter?

Service an Ilex shutter?

I have a Kodak Ektar 12” lens in an Ilex shutter, and the shutter is getting to be sluggish when it’s cold. I have experience servicing Compur shutters, but not an Ilex. Can anyone point me to resources to guide me through the disassembly/cleaning/reassembly of an Ilex, please? Thanks!

Re: Service an Ilex shutter?

Count me interested as well. I have a Dagor in an Ilex that could use some TLC.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Good morning,

This is what I did, I opened up the shutter (top plates) to exposure the workings.
    I flushed out the gears etc with plenty of lighter fluid.
    It evaporates.
    Next you can oil the few strategic points with very light oil
    Reassemble & you are good to go!

Serge

PS. The screws are easily lost, put the shutter in an open box in case the screw falls away. They are small & easlily lost

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    Good morning,

This is what I did, I opened up the shutter (top plates) to exposure the workings.
    I flushed out the gears etc with plenty of lighter fluid.
    It evaporates.
    Next you can oil the few strategic points with very light oil
    Reassemble & you are good to go!

Serge

PS. The screws are easily lost, put the shutter in an open box in case the screw falls away. They are small & easlily lost
    Serge, I've heard that the blades on Ilex are celluloid and are softened by lighter fluid. What is your take on this?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Serge, I've heard that the blades on Ilex are celluloid and are softened by lighter fluid. What is your take on this?
    The blades on MY Ilex shutter are not metal - they are some sort of hard rubber/plastic. I would NOT in a millions years expose them to even a mild solvent like Naphtha. Also, I have serviced a shutter recently on a Retina IIIc that someone did a "flood cleaning" (dumping lots of Ronsonol into the shutter repeatedly to dissolve old grease) and what happens is it mostly redistributes dirt, grease and (often) graphite throughout the shutter. The one I just serviced was a mess: greasy graphite slurm all over the place. Its NOT the right way to deal with a sluggish shutter: it only delays the inevitable, and sometimes that delay might be a matter of months. Sometimes you end up with grease and dirt on the shutter blades and iris blades, and then its a worse mess to deal with.
    I appreciate Serge's good intentions in suggesting this, but I do not recommend it, nor would I treat one of my own shutters that way.

Send it to Carol Flutot and enjoy the benefits of a beautifully working Ilex shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Hi John,

The blades on my shutter are metal. A tech instructed me this method a about 6 years ago. After I cleaned it out the shutter has worked properly since. My shutter is an Acme no.4 . I thought the Ilex shutters were the same, e.i. Metal
    Sorry for any confusion. I am glad others have corrected my recommendation.

But the iris is not!!! Paper or something like that...

The Aluminium parts inside need careful polishing as they get sticky oxidized and lube is not enough... Requires major teardown to do right...

Send it out...

Steve K

multiplex

Zacks in Providence RI also works on these marvels !

Les

Paul. sending to Carol is a good idea. I've send there my Ilex (also for 12" Ektar)....[I]the shutter would not move at all[/I].

Les