Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerns Re Overnighting at Racetrack in Death Valley

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Concerns Re Overnighting at Racetrack in Death Valley

If I rent a Jeep and sleep in it overnight at the Racetrack Playa in Death Valley to catch the morning light, will I:

get fined for improper camping (?!?!)?

get mugged?

develop bed sores?

have cell phone reception?

need an auxilliary heater (early February)?

have a senior moment and panic because I can't find the remote?

have an epiphany and run naked in the playa?

When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Octogenarian

Re: Concerns Re Overnighting at Racetrack in Death Valley

If you sleep in a Jeep, probably all of the above.

Get a tent.

Michael E. Gordon

About one mile south of the Playa you will find a few completely unimproved sites and one very unmaintained porta-potty. THIS is where you camp, not at the playa parking areas, as others are beginning to do.

No muggings, no cell reception, no Wal-Mart's, and only the occasional idiot (usually a photographer). If low's in the 20's and 30's is difficult for you, you may want to bring a propane space heater and good single malt.

Actually, we're pretty sure it's people from Canada that move those rocks around every which way. Whether they do it naked is a picture I just really don't need to envision.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Actually, we're pretty sure it's people from Canada that move those rocks around every which way. Whether they do it naked is a picture I just really don't need to envision.
    Even if it's the actress who plays Robin in "How I met your mother"?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I don't think falling asleep in a vehicle qualifies as camping. I personally always prefer a small tent to sleeping in a car seat. Call the NPS and ask, tell them you want to set up a tent in preparation for a pre-dawn rise for photography and they'll tell you where to do it. You can camp most places in DV if you are a certain distance off a road and are not in a restricted area.

Mugged? Out there? You're kidding, right?

I seriously doubt there is any cell coverage.

I personally wouldn't use a propane heater inside a vehicle even with the windows open some. The CO risk and the fire risk aren't worth it. In February you can anticipate some nights where it might be 20F or so. That's what it got down to the time I set up a tent next to the Eureka Dunes in January. No problem with a decent sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    .... and good single malt.
    Just added that to my list! How could I have forgotten!!?!! I have an unopened bottle of Glen Morangie 25-year-old. Is that apropos?

Seriously, thanks to all who have helped me with the planning. It's obvious that I will maximize my enjoyment of this amazing area if I DO rent a Jeep and thow in a mattress and perhaps a heater of some sort (any ideas there?) and stay to catch both the evening and the next morning's light. Wow! I am excited! I hope the road is open!!
    And I am serious about the Glen Morangie... Thanks all!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

I think this states the general rule:

Backcountry Camping

More than 3 million acres of wilderness and over 350 miles of backcountry dirt roads are open to camping under the following rules:

Free voluntary permits for backcountry camping may be obtained at the visitor center or any ranger station. Solo hikers can fill out a Backcountry Hiking Form to provide detailed information in case a search is requested by a family member or friend.

Backcountry camping is allowed two miles BEYOND any developed area, paved road, or "day use only" area. Use pre-existing campsites and park your vehicle close to the roadway to minimize impact.

Due to our rough dirt roads, backcountry roadside camping is generally only accessible to visitors with high clearance or 4-wheel drive vehicles.

Backcountry camping is not allowed on the valley floor from Ashford Mill in the south two miles north of Stovepipe Wells.

Overnight group size is limited to no more than six vehicles and 15 people. Larger groups should contact the Chief Ranger for a Special Use Permit.

Backcountry campsites must be more than 200 yards from any water source to protect these fragile areas for wildlife.

Campfires are prohibited, except in fire pits in developed campgrounds. Gathering wood is unlawful and burning of wood is not allowed in the backcountry. Use of a low impact backpacking stove is encouraged.

Since many springs may be dry or contaminated, plan to carry your own water or stash it ahead of time. During hot spring, summer and fall months, one gallon of water or more per person per day is needed. Heat and very low humidity create extreme dehydration potential during summer. We do not suggest low elevation hiking in Death Valley National Park between May and October.

I think if you check with the NPS you will find out there is some restriction on camping right on the racetrack road. You're supposed to take one of the spurs out away from the road a bit. But I think they will also tell you sleeping in your car on the road is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I don't think falling asleep in a vehicle qualifies as camping.
    I don't either but I am travelling via rental car and then renting a Jeep for a couple of days and I don't know if I can rent sleeping bags, tents etc. for just one night

Mugged? Out there? You're kidding, right?
    Yes...at least I hope so!

I personally wouldn't use a propane heater inside a vehicle ....
    Me neither but I've heard of plug in electric (I think?!?) that at least give a bit of relief and no CO...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Actually, we're pretty sure it's people from Canada that move those rocks around every which way.
    I can't believe that it's taken my fine American friends this long to solve the mystery!! It's a simple application of principles learned in Curling but the specific technique is a centurys' long secret! Hint: We drink a lot of Tim Hortons coffee and wear hockey skates to do this; nudity is involved before and after, not (due to danger to exposed parts) during! Um, good luck in the hockey game tonight BTW. Please don't embarrass us...