• over 61

79 43.17%
  • other

4 2.19%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Poll 2019: Age at last birthday

Re: Poll 2019: Age at last birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    This poll/topic is not exactly representative, I assure you. I have not answered, btw.
    Just like politics you won't get represented unless you vote.

Unlike politics, if you vote you can guarantee that you will be represented.

Just not a fan of age polls personally. It's just a number .
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Numbers to have a meaning, even if all are not counted, a sample with the proper caveats can serve to model a whole universe. Insurance companies know how many people will die annually at certain age and BMI. It seems like just a number, but if insurance companies know about it, and relate it to death, it must be important. So, I do pay attention to BMI. just an example of certain numbers and their use. If I were Ilford, whatever is left of Kodak, etc., I would be counting the ages of the photographers using film, and try to orient the marketing to those who are interested, or are not, but fit the profile of a potential shooter. I suggested that to the Intrepid kids and they seem to be getting the message.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Just don't get too hung up on a poll encompassing 4% of the active members or 0.35% of total membership.

Sorry I've just dealt with a lot of ageism in my life so I think way too much stock is put into that as a metric of importance.

As discussed elsewhere on the forum, Facebook groups are much more likely to have younger members. This poll is more representative of the age of membership on online forums, not interest in LF photography.

Just don't get too hung up on a poll encompassing 4% of the active members or 0.35% of total membership.

Sorry I've just dealt with a lot of ageism in my life so I think way too much stock is put into that as a metric of importance.

As discussed elsewhere on the forum, Facebook groups are much more likely to have younger members. This poll is more representative of the age of membership on online forums, not interest in LF photography.
    Ageism aside, the poll gets at the original intent, which was "Meant as information 'About' LFPF membership for those passing by", so Instagram etc. are not very relevant.

The sample size (147) would be more than adequate if we knew it was random or at least knew the probability of selection for respondents. But like most polls, that is not known very well so an art of polling is the correction (fudge) factors that are used to make the results more representative. For well-designed samples, the size of the sample itself is much more important that its proportional size to the population. For poorly designed samples, results are likely wrong until the sample size approaches a census.

Members 40,533 Active Members 3,359 copied today from this forum data.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Members 40,533 Active Members 3,359 copied today from this forum data.
    Yeah those are the numbers I used when calculating the percentage. I can't remember, was it ever explained what "Active Members" means?

Yeah those are the numbers I used when calculating the percentage. I can't remember, was it ever explained what "Active Members" means?
    The member list totals to 22563, found under the Community link, so something is amiss. Anyway, I agree with Corran that there are likely problems with the polling results, but it has much more to do with response patterns (self-selected "sample") than the small number of people responding. The number of members does not matter much for obtaining the age distribution via polling. Gallup polls, for example, usually select a fraction of a percent of the population they are dealing with, and often come up with good estimates.

As mentioned in post #57, another way to obtain ages is for someone with access to the website data to extract birthdays from each member that provided it. Those data may be confidential even in aggregate form, though.

Who gives the correct birthday or any other data

We scouts have been taught to lie by our youth
    Tin Can

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Who gives the correct birthday or any other data
    With so much hacking of data, very few people do.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones