Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Howtek utilities question

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Re: Howtek utilities question

Remember to keep all the cables entering in the controllers (VDC, VDD, etc.) properly bundled. Not a fan of tie-wraps for this task. I think velcro does a safer job. The idea is to minimize any movement of the cables due to vibrations while the scanner is operating.

thanks for all your help. I think I'll minimally button things back up and do some more scanning, see how it goes. One last question, am I wrong to think some intermittnaat problem like this is unlikely a major component like the HVPS.. etc? I know capacitors, for example, get old, leaky, etc.. but in my experience they don't perform erratically. Not sure what else in this thing wold act so erratically other than connections, and there are myriads on this thing..

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

My pleasure. Scan as much as you can. That's the best way to test it. And you are right. The problem seems more related to connections than anything else.

Thinking about reducing vibrations. Make sure the tail stock bearing is in good condition and lubricated. Also you can use 6 pads (vs 3) to support the drum.

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Thinking about reducing vibrations. Make sure the tail stock bearing is in good condition and lubricated. Also you can use 6 pads (vs 3) to support the drum.
    Good point about minimizing vibrations to help reduce the possibility of connections problems. After I first acquired my SM4500 I was amazed at how much it vibrated laterally when doing previews, even on a VERY sturdy table/counter which had previously been used in my darkroom for my enlarger. There was very little vibration on detail scans and none on high-res scans. Obviously the sled movement during previews is much faster and the fast "start/stop" action of the stepper motor can really setup a lot of external vibration. I spent a few hours crafting and installing additional steel bracing angles on the table and it made a HUGE difference. Now the scanner is rock solid, even on previews.

Tyler, I agree that bad or flaky connections are often the cause of problems which are intermittent. I think it is likely you fixed the issue by simply removing and reconnecting the offending cable/connection.

Dave

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Just remembered another source, the drum itself. Although the dimensions of the drum for the 4500 is similar to the 8000/Premier, the drums are not interchangeable without modifications. The one for the 4500 has metal caps vs the one for 8000/Premier has plastic caps. Using a drum with plastic caps in the 4500 (without mod) will bring extra vibrations, especially during preview, which is never good for the scanner.

Hi,
    I have Howtek 4000 with silverfast 6.6 with mac. It is throwing 719 error. I changed the bulbs and still error persists. I noticed trans bulb is dim and refl bulb is brighter. I swapped the bulbs and it didnt improve. Can somebody help me with running FST in mac? In addition if anybody can share their Howtek 4000/ Howtek 4500 service manual it will be very helpful.

I believe you need a Windows machine to run the FST.

Contact me by forum mail and included your personal email and I will send you a .pdf of the 4000/4500.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon