Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselves

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    I have had a cable release fail...
    I keep cable releases on my three lenses, and in the past, I've wound them (repeatedly) too tight around the lens, and over time, they begin to fail. The cheaper ones, anyway. But one of them is a Linhof – I've had it from the start, and it has never failed despite the former abuse. The lenses, too, were never hurt or damaged. I keep each lens + loosely coiled cable in a lens wrap to reduce any mischief when I'm not supervising them.

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Sure.
    I don't get why you do need to keep stating it over and over though, your experience of not having a failure, doesn't invalidate my experience of having had a cable release fail.

And if one needed to have an experience of 35 years to ask a question, most school kids would be adults before they asked a question.
    Just saying.

Cheers.
    From my perspective. There are a lot of new people here and I don't know you from Adam. When someone gives me some technical advice I want to know how long they've been doing it because the web is full of pretend or borrowed experience and made up knowledge. You asked me "Wouldnt that affect the lens/shutter, if it did?" I guess I could have said not in my experience and left it at that and that could mean anything from since yesterday to a lifetime. It doesn't mean anything to you that in some cases I've been using the same cable release in the same manner for so long with no problems? Ok cool. I'll try and remember that.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pottorff View Post
    I cut a hole in plastic food storage lids and put the spikes of my tripod through then to make snow shoes when I shoot in loose sand.
    I like clever solutions that cost pennies. Your loose sand reminds me of the deep-damp-dark-loose-bouncy soil in the mature forests of my region – under the big firs, hemlocks, and redwoods. Did I say bouncy?? I'll add that the soil can be very bouncy. I'm convinced that an eye blink makes this ground vibrate.

Often I'll push my spiked Ries J600 down, down, down – as far as I think it'll go – to produce the stability I need; but all too often, my images suggest it was still sinking/settling at shutter click (often marring a favorite forest image). Most of the time, just an extra push on each leg and final push on the head would have arrested the tripod; other times, one leg needs to go much deeper than the other two.

I've come to believe that tripod stability needs ongoing vigilance as one proceeds w/ set-up. For example, just adding the camera, attaching the lens, adjusting the head, applying movements, attaching dark cloths & film holders, removing dark slides – these actions, individually or collectively, can loosen the tripod's original grip on the ground.

As many here know, LF can require multiple levels of simultaneous attention!

I have a fabric tape measure sewn into the edge of my focussing cloth for measuring those pesky bellows extensions. One less thing to pack, one less thing to forget.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    I have a fabric tape measure sewn into the edge of my focussing cloth for measuring those pesky bellows extensions. One less thing to pack, one less thing to forget.
    Post of the day.

If my camera is too high to see the figures on top of the shutter, I use the display of my mobile phone as a mirror.

This thread is fun.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    If my camera is too high to see the figures on top of the shutter, I use the display of my mobile phone as a mirror.

This thread is fun.

Michael
    I'll try and remember that. I usually just remove the lens, do my settings and put it back-never had any problems. If its an issue where it is simply too dark say to set the aperture I carry and use these: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/fos...048904-product
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Take a chain saw for trimming branches that will be impossible to focus otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Take a chain saw for trimming branches that will be impossible to focus otherwise.
    Many years ago in early fall I was in Castlewood State Park shooting off a cliff. The Meramec river was below me with trees starting to turn in color. The shot just needed something so I broke off a small tree limb with leaves and held it in front of my camera lens to frame the shot.

Later I showed the photograph to someone who told me they couldn't believe how lucky I was that the tree limb just happened to be there in perfect position.

Vince Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    Two votes for post of the day.