Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: to the mods, does lowering a price on a FS item constitute a bump

Re: to the mods, does lowering a price on a FS item constitute a bump

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    In the beginning, it was simple. People posted FS items, and others bought or didn't buy. Then, some started applying more aggressive marketing techniques, such as bumping, to the detriment of those who didn't. That was followed by other bumpers trying to out-bump the bumpers, and what appeared to be mutual cross-bumping secret sub-societies. Administrative issues multiplied, and rules became more complex.

The current guidelines, and the revised FS/WTB forum structure, address issues discussed at length in a couple of threads over several months. While perhaps not perfect, and it's taking some time for folks who weren't following the discussions to become aware of the revised guidelines, it seems to be working better. The alternative was to eliminate the FS/WTB sections entirely - something we didn't want to do.

Plus, it's still free, and probably simpler than commercial sites designed for the same purpose.
    Care to give an example? I think it became more complicated due to the policies you came up with.

I sold on occasion, perhaps a few items a month - usually sold items I didn't want to sell but had to because of financial wows. I followed the bumping rules and didn't have a posse of followers making daily comments on my items to keep them on the first page. If there were people who did that, I guess I was unaware of it and it seemingly had no affect on the pleasure I derived from the FS section because I visited daily. I guess I missed the discussions because when the change came down it caught me completely off guard.

Anyway, it didn't take me long to learn the new rules - no bumping at all, list no more than 3 items in a day, no comments, and your item rapidly floats into obscurity as the day goes by. I don't find a single one of those changes appealing. I tried it for a couple weeks, listed a few items, then gave up. It's not that I just need to get used to it, it's that it is unpleasant.

As it stands now, it would have no affect on me whether the FS section was eliminated because I don't go there anymore.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Care to give an example? I think it became more complicated due to the policies you came up with.
    As I mentioned, Daniel, the "issues" have been discussed at length in a couple of different threads over a period of several months. The new guidelines are based on those discussions.

Most of the administrative matters are invisible to the casual observer because they are a combination of reported posts (which generate e-mails to the moderator group) and PMs to individual moderators. At times, those complaints have reached several dozen per day, with some reports being repeated because we didn't react as quickly as the person thought we should. It should be remembered that all of the moderators are volunteers, so each complaint amounts to a disruption of our jobs or whatever else we might be doing if we happen to be retired.

Restructuring the sale-related sub-forums so that the main display is based on the original post date has rendered bumping largely ineffective, and essentially re-levels the playing field for those who weren't bumping. Comments that don't contribute to the clarity of the original post are not allowed because they still act to bump the thread in the activity-related searches. Substantive questions and clarifications, however, are OK.

The new structure also provides a reasonable means of re-listing items that haven't sold in 30 days. If 30 days turns out to be too long, we're open to changing that, but we think 30 days is a reasonable period. Otherwise, re-listing becomes the new bumping.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    ... and it seems to be spreading. I am no expert, but it seems that perhaps moderation should be done in...moderation.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...veloping-trays

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    As I mentioned, Daniel, the "issues" have been discussed at length in a couple of different threads over a period of several months. The new guidelines are based on those discussions.

Most of the administrative matters are invisible to the casual observer because they are a combination of reported posts (which generate e-mails to the moderator group) and PMs to individual moderators. At times, those complaints have reached several dozen per day, with some reports being repeated because we didn't react as quickly as the person thought we should. It should be remembered that all of the moderators are volunteers, so each complaint amounts to a disruption of our jobs or whatever else we might be doing if we happen to be retired.

Restructuring the sale-related sub-forums so that the main display is based on the original post date has rendered bumping largely ineffective, and essentially re-levels the playing field for those who weren't bumping. Comments that don't contribute to the clarity of the original post are not allowed because they still act to bump the thread in the activity-related searches. Substantive questions and clarifications, however, are OK.

The new structure also provides a reasonable means of re-listing items that haven't sold in 30 days. If 30 days turns out to be too long, we're open to changing that, but we think 30 days is a reasonable period. Otherwise, re-listing becomes the new bumping.
    You've just over-regulated it to the point to where people, myself included, are going elsewhere.

Like Randy said above, I fall into that same category. I'm not on here acting like an internet tough guy shaming on other forum members, bashing peoples opinions, etc etc etc like I've seen in threads regarding stupid things like development times and lens coverage.

And to the members sending complaints to the moderators... really? I mean, I followed the rules in the past, didn't bump before three days etc etc etc but come on guys, act your age!

I hate to say it, but we're watching the slow death of the classifieds section on this forum.

May be we should just flog the complainers who bothered the moderators rather than having a new system that... really doesn't work that well.

:-)

Please, moderators, do not listen to the naysayers. The enforcement of common sense and common courtesy rules are an improvement and a welcome reversal from the abuses that have gradually crept in over time. If I were a moderator, this is exactly how I would do the job.

Well done!

I am in no way saying that the changes were wrong or unnecessary - I'm not that smart. I am just saying that I find them unappealing and they are the impetus for my dwindling participation.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I am in no way saying that the changes were wrong or unnecessary - I'm not that smart. I am just saying that I find them unappealing and they are the impetus for my dwindling participation.
    Losing the bump and having to close and reload is a major pain in the ass, especially for those who use the mobile app. You may not have images saved on your phone etc. Again, it's just a way to stifle people and keep them from participating.

But what do I know, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Harding View Post
    Not to argue, but to differ: when I'm in the market for something, I search for keywords then sort by date. Example, if I'm looking for something for my Rittreck View, I might search 'Rittreck' and see what comes up. Occasionally I'll scan recent posts to see what strikes my fancy, but I tend to know what I'm looking for. I can see the challenge you highlight, though.
    Yea well the search system here sucks. I could give a perfect example but in doing so (mentioning the lister and the item we be considered a bump )