Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 210 for travel and landscape: Heliar or Schneider?

210 for travel and landscape: Heliar or Schneider?

I’m planning a trip for landscape photography by gravelbike with my Chamonix 4x5 equipment and want to bring my 150 and a 210. I have the Heliar 210, which is the lens with character and weighs 850gram (electronic shutter) and the Schneider MC nonAPO 210 which weighs 550gram and is fairly neutral and sharp, period. I like to cut on weight as much as possible. Thus far, I see the Heliar as a stills lens. Which lens would you prefer for this purpose?

Re: 210 for travel and landscape: Heliar or Schneider?

If I am travelling reliability is my overwhelming concern. So I would be very wary of taking a lens with an electronic shutter and it jiggling around in the pannier of a gravel bike. No point having a nice lens if it breaks.

You might look at a 210mm Schneider G-Claron or a 210mm Calumet (or Rodenstock equivalent) Caltar-II E. If you're not set on a 210 focal length, look at the 200mm Nikkor-M; a truly diminutive lens.
    Last edited by Alan9940; 15-May-2021 at 06:42. Reason: Additional comment

Bring the Schneider.

I’m in the same case of having two 210s : a Nikkor W f5.6 in a copal 1 and a late Docter Tessar f/4.5 in a copal 3.
    At home I use the Tessar exclusively for its nice rendering, but if I’m carrying my gear somewhere I always pack the Nikkor.
    Not sure I could tell the difference between them at f/11 anyway.

It kind of eats me up to have two 210s, but the Tessar is too good to sell yet too heavy to carry around.
    Maybe one day I’ll switch the Nikkor for a 180mm, just to have a different focal length. I would swap it for a 240, but those are bigger and come in copal 3 shutters...
    "I am a reflection photographing other reflections within a reflection. To photograph reality is to photograph nothing." Duane Michals

Hi Otto. I think you responded your question yourself , but here is my opinion - Heliars for portraits and still life. Landscapes you will shoot at f22 and higher, so no reason to charge with 300 gr extra.
    BTW, I received today 210 Heliar in Compur electronic 3 shutter. Unfortunately shutter has some mechanical problem ...

Best wishes,

Thanks to all of you! This was the little push I needed to choose with for the Schneider. Perhaps though I wonder what a 210 has more to say in landscape and I consider bringing my two lightweights 150 and 300 (Nikkor). They are less accident prone too than the heavier 210.

Quote Originally Posted by Iga View Post
    Unfortunately shutter has some mechanical problem ...

Best wishes,
    It sure is worth the patience to let it repaired or substitute the shutter, really love this lens. Hold on!

Trying to find repair manual
    best !

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    You might look at a 210mm Schneider G-Claron or a 210mm Calumet (or Rodenstock equivalent) Caltar-II E. If you're not set on a 210 focal length, look at the 200mm Nikkor-M; a truly diminutive lens.
    Thanks, I dived into this because it really is compact, so I should have some space left for it. I found a Repro-Claron on a Linhof plate, is this very different? Looks excellent, seller asks 350€

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    Thanks, I dived into this because it really is compact, so I should have some space left for it. I found a Repro-Claron on a Linhof plate, is this very different? Looks excellent, seller asks 350€
    The Repro-Claron is different from the G-Claron. It's a similar design to an Artar and many other process lenses and may not have sufficient coverage on 4x5 for landscapes. A G-Claron is a plasmat type process lens (or the more rare Dagor type early G-Clarons) with much more coverage (The 210mm G-Claron covers 8x10 stopped down at f/22 and beyond).