Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Repro-Claron 610mm f9

Schneider Repro-Claron 610mm f9

Does anyone know anything about this lens, or have owned it and have some experience to share? Also, what it might be worth? I’ve been looking for information on the Internet but have not found much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loujon

Re: Schneider Repro-Claron 610mm f9

Hey Dan

It's pretty much the same as a 24" f11 Goerz RD Artar w/ great APO correction, very sharp & has the Gaussian design in this case single coated IC is around 50 degress or so at infinity( it may also us Thorium glass if that's the correct spelling). Schneider replaced the Repro-Claron when they took over the Goerz company so they now manufactured the RD Artar in longer focal lengths and they also added the Plasmat design G Claron though the longest FL for the G Claron was set at 355mm f9.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Repro-Claron info.jpg  

According to my Schneider literature, it has a 22" image circle at 1:10. 40.7" image circle at 1:1

The ultimate in fine correction. Will satisfy even the most exacting demands for maximum color correction over the entire spectrum. A truly valuable investment for technical close ups. Where there can be no compromise with perfect definition and contrast quality.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Dialyte, Lou, like the Apo-Artar, Apo-Ronar and some but not all Apo-Nikkors. All fine lenses, none of them double Gauss. Not that it matters.

Dan H., if you're contemplating selling one it should sell at par with coated (=, I think and could be mistaken, Red Dot) 24" Apo-Artar, 600 Apo-Ronar and 610 Apo-Nikkor. Look for sold auctions on eBay. The market for these lenses is a little thin so prices are somewhat dispersed.

One nice thing about that lens is that it is a direct fit into a Compound 4 shutter with no machining. A very very nice old lens.

Should I be worried about the rare earth thing? I’ve heard that they can have blue/pink hues in the reflections, which some have spoken about as a desirable thing, but all I read is yellowing of the lens and potential radioactivity? I’m not too worried about the latter, but the yellowing definitely sounds bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The physicist Michael Briggs wrote what must be the definitive article on lenses with radioactive (thorium) glass. His subject was the Kodak Aero-Ektar lenses but the story is, I think, much the same for your Repro-Claron. I've lost the link but it should be easy to find- answers for your questions will certainly be found there.

Mark, the link is in the list, look under Kodak.

Dan, I've had one ReproClaron, a 55 in barrel. Tiny little thing. It had yellowed outer elements in each cell when it arrived. They became clear after it had basked for some time under a 20w UV-B compact fluorescent. I never carried it in a pants pocket or slept with it under my pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    One nice thing about that lens is that it is a direct fit into a Compound 4 shutter with no machining. A very very nice old lens.
    Really...now that's interesting. Now I want one instead of my APO-Ronar in front of a packard.

Everything, well, nearly everything, Jim says is true but it isn't always complete. Check before you buy or buy with the right of return.

I have Schneider documentation that says the 610/9 Repro-Claron's cells fit a Compur Electronic #5FS. It also says that a 210/9 Repro-Claron's cells will fit a #1. I have one, its cells absolutely positively won't fit a #1. #3 seems more likely.