Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: long exposure light leak?

Re: long exposure light leak?

you can replace the old foam seals with new. its very easy, just scrape n clean it well. pick the thickness you need and cut strips. the new foam is self stick.

you can get a variety kit of foam sheets in several thicknesses here....

https://www.micro-tools.com/products/lb-kit

If you find the inside of your camera has any surfaces that are shiny or have had black paint wear off, you can get adhesive black flocking material from online stores that cater to people who make their own telescopes. $20 will pretty much buy a lifetime's worth.
    -Chris

OK, replaced the seals at the bottom and took a picture. Stupidly I tried adding a yellow filter (Lee B&W polyester filter set, xmas present) and this seems to have introduced new problems (contrast added to highlight issues):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light-leak-4.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	199007

Are the rings are due to the filter?! . However the original leak issue still seems to be in the same place, but looks different? Or is it streaky clouds?

Tempted to bin the filters and the rear standard as its soaking up too much time and film...

Quote Originally Posted by MattKHardy View Post
    OK, replaced the seals at the bottom and took a picture. Stupidly I tried adding a yellow filter (Lee B&W polyester filter set, xmas present) and this seems to have introduced new problems (contrast added to highlight issues):

Name:	light-leak-4.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	199007

Are the rings are due to the filter?! . However the original leak issue still seems to be in the same place, but looks different? Or is it streaky clouds?

Tempted to bin the filters and the rear standard as its soaking up too much time and film...
    Rings issue reproduced with a digital camera. Happens with the yellow filter on top of a linear polarizer...

Matt, you said this doesn't happen when the back is in landscape orientation correct? I'm not familiar with how this back switches between landscape and portrait mode, do you have to remove and manually turn it or does it rotate. Seems something is not seating right when in portrait mode. Maybe you could use black electrical tape to seal the joint between the back and rear standard to see if that eliminates the issue, all be it temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tymon View Post
    Matt, you said this doesn't happen when the back is in landscape orientation correct? I'm not familiar with how this back switches between landscape and portrait mode, do you have to remove and manually turn it or does it rotate. Seems something is not seating right when in portrait mode. Maybe you could use black electrical tape to seal the joint between the back and rear standard to see if that eliminates the issue, all be it temporarily.
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the advice. It has to be removed and manually rotated.

In landscape mode there is a ridge that runs across the bottom edge and sits over the join.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    If you find the inside of your camera has any surfaces that are shiny or have had black paint wear off, you can get adhesive black flocking material from online stores that cater to people who make their own telescopes. $20 will pretty much buy a lifetime's worth.
    Spent a good 30 minutes today shining a torch around around every inch of the standards and bellows and I still couldn't find any more light leaks. So I loaded a sheet of film, took the slide out, and left the camera outside in daylight for five minutes. This is the developed film:

Name:	light-leak-5.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	199105

Its solid/black/blank. So surely the light leaks are now fixed? If they weren't, they would appear as a light streak in the same place?

Internal reflections might still be an issue?

If the shutter was closed the film should be clear as no light should have entered the bellows. It may be my monitor but I see a line of density about two thirds of the way up extending from the left edge.

Post Re: long exposure light leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tymon View Post
    If the shutter was closed the film should be clear as no light should have entered the bellows. It may be my monitor but I see a line of density about two thirds of the way up extending from the left edge.
    Shutter was closed.

Yeah can see the line as well. Maybe it's developement anomalies? As it's darker its not a leak?

Matt is the film clear? Or is this an inverted image of the neg?