Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

In today's digital age, we're also struggling to figure out how to get more friends to use LF...

Can reduce the cost and ensure the performance of the camera, why not?

Technical parameter of 70 type COSMOS
    1.Flange focal length is 70mm.
    2.It comes with Linhof type 96mm*99mm lens board.
    3.It can use general 4x5 film holder.
    4.It can use 120 format Film Holder Back for 4X5
    5.Viewfinder angle is 110°.
    6.It come with a focousing helicoid ring.
    7.It work temperature is -15℃ to +45℃.
    8.Length, height and thickness: 180mmx200mmx110mm.
    9.Weight 567g.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	图片1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	201316

Looks good!

I'm wondering if you might consider creating a "forward tilt module" (accessory which would replace the standard module) - which would feature a hinge mechanism at the bottom, so when not tilted all functions would remain normal so camera could be used handheld with scale focus...but when tilt feature is utilized the focussing screen would be used. It might also be possible to do a basic tilt handheld, using the focus screen, then insert a holder and use the top view finder which would have its own tilt (like the Leica Immarect) to compensated for field of view shift. This focus tilt mechanism would likely need to incorporate some kind of very short, internal bellows, although as the tilt would only be in one axis with the hinge at the base, you could probably design this to function without a bellows, but instead a light trap cloth between moving components. I think if you did this with some thought and creativity it could be done without adding much extra weight.

If the tilt module could be designed to allow handheld use, this would be significant - as the problem with handheld large format is often that practical minimal aperture values can be seriously affected by light levels - which can create compromises in depth of focus (even with wide lenses), which can make it difficult to incorporate a meaningful foreground into a landscape photo.

Also, it would be nice if such a tilt module could be installed in either a vertical or horizontal orientation. Vertical would be especially important, as this orientation reaches further down into the often oblique foreground plane.

Thinking further...perhaps the viewfinder would not need parallax correction as described above - but it might need to incorporate some kind of centrally located witness mark which would be viewable from the slight distance needed for a user to focus using the screen, with which the user would locate a point in the field of view while also performing the tilt, so that after the film holder is inserted, the user could again locate this point, ensuring that the tilt itself remains accurate and the new plane of focus is appropriate.

A question: might you consider creating a 5x7 model?

Quote Originally Posted by 3S-KR View Post
    The cameras you mentioned are bellows, so they use rangefinder to focus.And COSMOS use focusing helicoid ring. As long as the focus is measured in advance and marked on the focusing ring, just like using Leica manual lens, it can focus quickly instead of looking at the rangefinder every time - that's what we mean by simplicity and practicality.
    You just described the Linhof Technar and the Sinar Handy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Looks good!

I'm wondering if you might consider creating a "forward tilt module" (accessory which would replace the standard module) - which would feature a hinge mechanism at the bottom, so when not tilted all functions would remain normal so camera could be used handheld with scale focus...but when tilt feature is utilized the focussing screen would be used. It might also be possible to do a basic tilt handheld, using the focus screen, then insert a holder and use the top view finder which would have its own tilt (like the Leica Immarect) to compensated for field of view shift. This focus tilt mechanism would likely need to incorporate some kind of very short, internal bellows, although as the tilt would only be in one axis with the hinge at the base, you could probably design this to function without a bellows, but instead a light trap cloth between moving components. I think if you did this with some thought and creativity it could be done without adding much extra weight.

If the tilt module could be designed to allow handheld use, this would be significant - as the problem with handheld large format is often that practical minimal aperture values can be seriously affected by light levels - which can create compromises in depth of focus (even with wide lenses), which can make it difficult to incorporate a meaningful foreground into a landscape photo.

Also, it would be nice if such a tilt module could be installed in either a vertical or horizontal orientation. Vertical would be especially important, as this orientation reaches further down into the often oblique foreground plane.

Thinking further...perhaps the viewfinder would not need parallax correction as described above - but it might need to incorporate some kind of centrally located witness mark which would be viewable from the slight distance needed for a user to focus using the screen, with which the user would locate a point in the field of view while also performing the tilt, so that after the film holder is inserted, the user could again locate this point, ensuring that the tilt itself remains accurate and the new plane of focus is appropriate.

A question: might you consider creating a 5x7 model?
    Thank you very much.

In 2012, we developed a 45 camera, and once we developed a lens board that could tilt forward 5 degrees. Considering the market acceptance, we stopped. Now, the design is still in our computer.

In our opinion, the quick shooting camera should be embodied in the handhold and simple operation. The functions such as tilt and shift axis are not the primary functions of the quick shooting camera. In the future, we will develop more technical cameras with functions.

We have no plans to develop a 5X7 camera, sorry. But 8X10 is even more alluring

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You just described the Linhof Technar and the Sinar Handy.
    yes.

Linhof and Sinar Handy represent two different focus modes, Linhof uses rangefinder, Sinar uses the focus ring, and we are in Sinar mode.

The functions such as tilt and shift axis are not the primary functions of the quick shooting camera. In the future, we will develop more technical cameras with functions.
    I won't argue too much, but having shift would for me be a very important bonus. It is not because it is a "quick shooting camera" that you will not put it on a stand sometimes. So I do use shift regularly when shooting a building, even handheld with a 6x6. Something like a Cambo Wide is what I'm thinking of.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

yes.

Linhof and Sinar Handy represent two different focus modes, Linhof uses rangefinder, Sinar uses the focus ring, and we are in Sinar mode.
    Linhof Technar is also a pancake camera with helical focusing lenses from 65mm to 135mm. Anatomical grip with cable release and accurate finder in the shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I won't argue too much, but having shift would for me be a very important bonus. It is not because it is a "quick shooting camera" that you will not put it on a stand sometimes. So I do use shift regularly when shooting a building, even handheld with a 6x6. Something like a Cambo Wide is what I'm thinking of.
    I have been engaged in commercial photography for a long time, among which there are a lot of architectural photography work, of course, architectural photography has to use the function of axis shifting a lot of times.

However, the lack of some features of the COSMOS CIRCLE means it is not a universal camera.

We welcome the discussion on the COSMOS CIRCLE, and we sincerely listen to the opinions of our friends to make the COSMOS CIRCLE more perfect.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Linhof Technar is also a pancake camera with helical focusing lenses from 65mm to 135mm. Anatomical grip with cable release and accurate finder in the shoe.
    yes.
    The COSMOS CIRCLE has two shoes on the top, with the accurate finder in the shoe attached