Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do I use the same lenses for different cameras?

how do I use the same lenses for different cameras?

Hello I have a Cambo legend and an intrepid, both are 5x4. I was wondering how I could swap the lenses between different sessions?

Many thanks for looking

Re: how do I use the same lenses for different cameras?

You can either switch the lens between lens boards (flanges work best for this), or use a lens board adapter that fits on the camera with the larger lens board.
    The lens board adapter would accept the smaller lens board. You would then be able to leave the lens on the smaller lens board.
    Check the skgrimes.com website for good info about lens mounting and adapters.

If you think you will be doing large format photography for a long time, mounting all of your lenses on Technika sized lens boards and then getting an adapter to match up to whichever camera(s) you use is a good way to go. If you accumulate a lot of lenses over a long period, it is very cost-effective. The lens boards themselves are fairly small but handle copal/compur 3 shutter sizes.

The intrepid 4x5 mk4 appears to use Technika sized lens boards. So get an adapter for your Cambo Legend to mount the Technika lens board. The Cambo Lens board is quite large. If you can't find an adapter board, as Dugan mentioned skgrimes.com can often custom make what you need.

It looks like the Legend and SC use the same lens board thus an example of the adapter would be:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Cambo-...YAAOSwfBpfPsOq

and so on

a good plan until lenses get really big

by then you are addicted

resistance is futile
    Tin Can

You pick the smallest board and mount your lenses on that one and get an adaptor board for the larger board. For intance, I have most of my lenses mounted on 4x4" Deardorff V5 boards and have a 6x6 to 4x4 adaptor for the V8. The only lenses I have mounted on the V8 boards are lenses longer than 23" which is the max bellows length of the V5. I also had SKG make a Sinar to 4x4 adaptor board to use the 4x4 lenses lenses on the Sinar. I also have a bunch of modern lenses on Sinar boards, use those only on the Sinar.

https://skgrimes.com/products/lens-board-adapters/
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 27-Jan-2021 at 17:45.

Small town, South Carolina, US

In your case, the best option is to put your lenses on Technika boards and buy or make an adapter for the Cambo as was stated above.

In my case I have most of my lenses on 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 miniature Crown boards and Busch Pressman boards. And use them on my Sinar, Horseman 980 and soon on a Toyo VX125. Some are straight adaptations and others are mounted on 52mm or 67mm metal lens caps that screw on to a board. All are homemade adaptions.

I have most of my lenses mounted on Technika boards and adapters for both 8x10s and both 4x5s. Not only is it super convenient to be able to easily move lenses between various cameras, but the Technika boards are way smaller and lighter than my 6x6 Deardorff boards.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

lol... am I the only one who just bought multiple lenses and use dedicated boards?

There were many kinds of reduction adapters for Cambo, of which Linhof Technika was one. Moreover, many cameras brands made Technika reduction adapters for their camera.

With the smaller sized Technika lensboards, they're easier to carry.

Thanks everyone, this makes sense. definitely getting addicted already. It's the opposite of phone photography and all the better for it!