Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bergger releasing new film soon

Re: Bergger releasing new film soon

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Currently there is a digital Pt Pd printing system that Salto Lab and a Japanese company are using... I have heard the prints are quite good.
    'amanasalto' I believe is their name. I think what they're doing derives from Salto Ulbeek having acquired a 10,000dpi filmsetter to make 600lpi offset separations back in the early 2000's & then realising it can be put to other purposes. I think they're using multiple halftone screened litho films in register - highlights/mids/shadows & a single hit of platinum/ palladium.

One idea that might work for those who want silver negs without a laser exposure unit at vast cost might be to output an inkjet film positive & contact that to film - would potentially negate some of the density issues that inkjet can have while still allowing analogue film output from a digital file. Obviously various potential issues with this including dust & sharpness/ resolution loss, but there are also some interesting creative interventions that might be possible including using litho film & stochastic screens etc.

this is weird, the Salto Lab link Tim V shows, leads me to a socialmedia/ UI type of company. I couldn't find anything about alt processes. Do I need to dig deeper in their site ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Drew Wiley

Magnolia Editions has been doing that kind of thing here for a long time now - many hybrid tweaks in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Magnolia Editions has been doing that kind of thing here for a long time now - many hybrid tweaks in fact.
    thank s for the tip!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    I wonder what this film formulation could be, but maybe Fortepan 100 or 200? Any ideas?
    I'd be happy if they released Pancro 400 in 35mm and 4x5. Both sizes are still back-ordered at B&H Photo.

Should be a B&H problem because both are available in France at least:
    https://labo-argentique.com/produits...manufacturer=4

Quote Originally Posted by Payral View Post
    Should be a B&H problem because both are available in France at least:
    https://labo-argentique.com/produits...manufacturer=4
    No, its actually a North America problem. All retailers have reported severe problems in staying stocked with Bergger products, especially the Pancro 400 films. For the past year+ it has been very hit-or-miss locating supplies of the films. As much as I like Pancro 400, I have pretty much decided to use up what I have left and then rely on Ilford and Kodak emulsions from now on, because those, at least, are available continuously.

PS: when I first started buying Pancro 400 a couple years back, it was one of the less expensive films. Now, it is one of the more expensive of the bunch.* With the availability problem, there is less motivation to seek it out - at least for me. Its a shame, as I had hoped to make it my go-to 400 speed film.

*120 roll of Pancro 400 is $5.98, and a roll of HP5+ is $5.19, but a box of 8X10 Pancro 400 is $124.95 and HP5+ is 129.95 (at B&H)

haven't used their films but my main paper is Bergger VC-NB neutral, and it seems to be out of stock at B&H, more often than not.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I order all my Pancro stock from Linhof Studio in the UK, who can easily get supply quickly from France when they need it – at least pre-Brexit... I live in New Zealand, so I have to order in pretty much anything if I want 8x10" film.

As for this new film, by interest is very much pricked. I hope they announce something more tangible soon.

I was months on the B&H waiting list for Pancro 4x5. I finally got it last winter, and in loading the last of that fifty-sheet box today, I was flummoxed by several sheets without notch codes. I like the film, but HP5 is beginning to look like the future for me.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."