Thread: Can I put a Polaroid viewer on a Graflex Graphic View I?

Can I put a Polaroid viewer on a Graflex Graphic View I?

I just purchased a Polaroid reflex viewer to use on my Graflex Graphic View camera. Watching a modification video I discovered it was used with the version 2 with a Graflok back. Does anyone know if I can mount to the version I with the spring back? If not can version I be modified to accept a Graflok back?

I figured it out. I'll take pics and post later.
    Last edited by sruddy; 28-Oct-2020 at 14:26.

Re: Can I put a Polaroid viewer on a Graflex Graphic View I?

I fit one of those Polaroid viewers, from an MP4 Camera, to a Graflok back a couple of years ago. This was for use as a vertical copy camera as I do not like reflex viewers for general view camera photography, preferring the inverted image on a monocular viewer like the Toyo. The Polaroid viewer is mounted in place of the pop-up hood, so it can be done on a spring back as well as a Graflok. Quite a bit of metal has to be removed from both the ground glass frame as well as the reflex viewer itself, but when all the grub work is done, the fit is quite good. I strongly discourage you from doing this and suggest you rig up a monocular viewer instead.

I use a GVII frequently (Graflok) and was given a couple of Polaroid MP-3 hoods that barely mated to each other, but noticed some other issues that can come up...

The point that secures the hood to the GG frame is the clips on the vertical edges of the spring that holds down the GG, in the little slot in the middle... The pins on the viewer housing go under the spring, and it's a tight (barely) fit... The SG/CG Graflok is the same, but I never had the camera with the spring back, so I don't know if the hood can fit in the GG opening on those...

Even when it fits, things I noticed were that the hood has some weight to it, and when used in any other orientation than down shooting, there's a chance the GG frame will not be pressing correctly against the back insuring correct focus... Barely, but be careful... It would be much better if hood was secured to camera somehow...

Hood itself is fairly large, and would be bulky to carry into field...

Mirror in hood has popped out on both hoods I have, and should be re-secured before use...

Hoods only can be used in a horizontal orientation shots...

Hoods provide moderate magnification, but harder to use for spots you want to use a higher powered loupe at... These like bright light to focus, like on a well lit copy stand... Severe swings & tilts can dim veiwing of edges or areas...

I still use mine for downshooting macro subjects on a copy stand, but plan in the future to build some "photoman" bellows device (with a larger magnifier on end) that has some flex to move eyepiece around to see edges/corners, even if some tilting is needed... I'm tempted to get one of those rubber bellows boots used on the base of floor shifters from a sports car as a part... ;-)

Steve K

Twice in the 1990s i adapted reflex viewers from Polaroid MP-4 copy camerasd to a Grafloc back. I used it to do regular view camera work with an old speed graphic. Really helped in very low angle work (like actually on the ground).This is a workable re-purposing DIY project taking only a little fiddling. It worked well enough.

I found them to be heavy and inconvenient to store when working in the field though. Eventually I got used to the inverted view on the GG and moved on.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    I fit one of those Polaroid viewers, from an MP4 Camera, to a Graflok back a couple of years ago. This was for use as a vertical copy camera as I do not like reflex viewers for general view camera photography, preferring the inverted image on a monocular viewer like the Toyo. The Polaroid viewer is mounted in place of the pop-up hood, so it can be done on a spring back as well as a Graflok. Quite a bit of metal has to be removed from both the ground glass frame as well as the reflex viewer itself, but when all the grub work is done, the fit is quite good. I strongly discourage you from doing this and suggest you rig up a monocular viewer instead.
    I don't have a Graflok back it's a spring loaded back called a Graphic. I was able to attach to My Graphic back with no modifications at all. See photo

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I use a GVII frequently (Graflok) and was given a couple of Polaroid MP-3 hoods that barely mated to each other, but noticed some other issues that can come up...

The point that secures the hood to the GG frame is the clips on the vertical edges of the spring that holds down the GG, in the little slot in the middle... The pins on the viewer housing go under the spring, and it's a tight (barely) fit... The SG/CG Graflok is the same, but I never had the camera with the spring back, so I don't know if the hood can fit in the GG opening on those...

Even when it fits, things I noticed were that the hood has some weight to it, and when used in any other orientation than down shooting, there's a chance the GG frame will not be pressing correctly against the back insuring correct focus... Barely, but be careful... It would be much better if hood was secured to camera somehow...

Hood itself is fairly large, and would be bulky to carry into field...

Mirror in hood has popped out on both hoods I have, and should be re-secured before use...

Hoods only can be used in a horizontal orientation shots...

Hoods provide moderate magnification, but harder to use for spots you want to use a higher powered loupe at... These like bright light to focus, like on a well lit copy stand... Severe swings & tilts can dim veiwing of edges or areas...

I still use mine for downshooting macro subjects on a copy stand, but plan in the future to build some "photoman" bellows device (with a larger magnifier on end) that has some flex to move eyepiece around to see edges/corners, even if some tilting is needed... I'm tempted to get one of those rubber bellows boots used on the base of floor shifters from a sports car as a part... ;-)

Steve K
    Thanks Steve, I ended up using a rubber band to hold up the viewer. I never even considered the fact it's only good for landscape! The good thing is I ended up with a better ground glass and it's now usable. I will need to develop another way to view without the hassle of a sheet or cover. Would be interested to see what you end up putting together.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4006.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	209023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4007.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	209024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4008.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	209025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4019.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	209026

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4020.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	209027