Page 502 of 655 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504512552602 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 6544

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Scan from a contact print on Ilford MG warmtone paper at grade 1.

More often than not, I make two identical exposures of any scene I deem worthy, so that I get a second chance if processing goes wrong on the first negative.

In this case, the first one came out ok (way back when), so the duplicate was kept aside to be used for testing.

The negative that made this print was developed last week, more than two years after exposure, which speaks volumes for the stability of the latent image on exposed xray films (or at the very least on this particular film, Agfa CPG+).

18x24cm negative (double sided, green sensitive), developed in Ilford MG paper developer (1+50) in a Jobo 2830 drum for 8'min.

I had a similar experience with Kodak High Speed Green X-ray film. In 2012 I made four exposures of a scene and developed three of them over the next few days. The fourth sheet stayed in my paper safe for two years before being processed in 2014. The image looked identical the best of the three processed two years earlier. This is significant, because X-ray film is almost always processed immediately after exposure in a professional setting, so the manufacturers don't have any reason to strive for long term latent image quality. I'm guessing latent image preservation goes along with other desirable characteristics that good X-ray film needs to have.

Thodoris, thankyou for sharing your experiences with your tubes, much the same experiences I had with tubes, but you had much better results. Speaking of the electric rollers, I had one, using a mod54 in a Paterson dev tank (3 spool version). The only problem with the electric roller I found was that as the developer is only turning one way I was still getting uneven development, so I got out my spare electric roller to use in the opposite direction. I changed rollers every minute or so and got really good results

Well, sharing our experiences and inspiring each other is what it's all about, right?

Here is a scan from a contact print on Hahnemühle Platinum Rag coated with Mike Ware's Cyanotype formula.

Using the same in-camera negative from which I printed the silver gelatin contact print in my previous post.

Thanks for posting both prints.

I am wavering on Cyanotype

Which do you prefer?

Randy,

Even though I do like how the cyanotype turned out (also did a darker version, but I like this one better), I'm not the biggest fan of this process in general.

Despite all my experience in silver printing, my only previous experience in "alternative processes" are a handful of prints I did some 20 years ago in a workshop. Still a total newbie, taking my first steps in climbing the proverbial learning curve.

(Having a working knowledge of sensitometry helps immensely though.)

So, before trying out something more challenging, like palladium or carbon transfer, I thought it would be best to try a simpler (and cheaper) process first.

30x40cm negative (double sided, green sensitive), hand development on plastic trays.
    D76
    1/1
    8 min, 20°C
    continus agitation
    film rated 9 ASA
    Base rabbit cages trays are useful, cheap and available in large format dimension.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Violoncello.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Coquis View Post
    30x40cm negative (double sided, green sensitive), hand development on plastic trays.
    D76
    1/1
    8 min, 20°C
    continus agitation
    film rated 9 ASA
    Base rabbit cages trays are useful, cheap and available in large format dimension.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Thodoris Tzalavras View Post
    Randy,

Even though I do like how the cyanotype turned out (also did a darker version, but I like this one better), I'm not the biggest fan of this process in general.

Despite all my experience in silver printing, my only previous experience in "alternative processes" are a handful of prints I did some 20 years ago in a workshop. Still a total newbie, taking my first steps in climbing the proverbial learning curve.

(Having a working knowledge of sensitometry helps immensely though.)

So, before trying out something more challenging, like palladium or carbon transfer, I thought it would be best to try a simpler (and cheaper) process first.
    Very good idea that I should follow!

Maybe try Van Dyke! I made some from x-ray film years ago. I personally am not a fan of the color of cyanotypes generally. I've seen some toned cyanotypes that were okay though, but never experimented with that myself.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome