Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Compur shutter questions

Re: Compur shutter questions

If it was a modern Copal or Compur it would be easy, but the older Compur shutters don’t seem to follow the same standards as the later ones (evident from the measurements in that link to SK Grimes) making finding a spare ring harder.

Even though the Compur shutters of this age had size numbers the retaining rings were not always of standard size. The shutters were sometimes made to fit certain lenses and cameras.

Surely skgrimes can make a retaining ring/flange, but so could someone with a lathe and also can make custom threads. I never buy old lenses that don't come with a retaining ring, but could have if it was 30 years ago when my father still worked. He made parts for satellites and space probes and could easily have made a retaining ring with any thread.

I have five old Compur nr. 2 shutters which for the mounting ring all have thread M0.9,
    and bear the following lenses:

Tessar f6.3 250mm
    Tessar f6.3 180mm
    Tessar f4.5 165mm
    Tessar f4.5 150mm 2x

My f 3.5 150mm Triotar (in barrel) is as big as the f6.3 250mm and should fit the Compur 2; don't have the f 3.5 Tessar.

AFASK a ring from SK Grimes costs as much or more than an old compur shutter; better look around on the net for a ring with the diameter of your old shutter (probably M50 diameter as mine) and a M0.9 thread pitch.

Perhaps other fellow members might have such a spare for you.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    AFASK a ring from SK Grimes costs as much or more than an old compur shutter; better look around on the net for a ring with the diameter of your old shutter (probably M50 diameter as mine) and a M0.9 thread pitch.
    That's interesting and useful news. Who sells old Compurs for $40 or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    That's interesting and useful news. Who sells old Compurs for $40 or less?
    I did buy mine in Germany for about 25 usd (without lens) - they needed cla , with shipping costs they might have cost about 50

USD 40 must be long ago for one of Grimes :-) and of course without shipping costs and import duties ....

My Flickr

Thanks. I’ll have to measure the Compur shutter than comes with the lens and work it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can confirm it is 50,0mm on my 15cm f3.5.
    I have had success removing black glue pistol glue from metal, so if you don't want to wait for a ring, it will do the job.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Can confirm it is 50,0mm on my 15cm f3.5.
    I have had success removing black glue pistol glue from metal, so if you don't want to wait for a ring, it will do the job.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
    Your confirmation is timely, as over the past few days I have
    done as much online research as I could and had narrowed it down to the matching Compur being a 50mm x M9 rear thread.

In addition, with great luck I came across this manufacturer based in Portugal, Custom Photo Tools:

https://customphototools.com/lensboa...tter-adapters/

As well as making and selling retaining rings for various shutter sizes (including older dial set Compurs), they make adapter and ring combos that will allow a 50mm X M9 Compur rear thread to adapt to to regular Copal 3 lens board hole. Very reasonable prices with aluminium costing 30 Euros and brass costing 40 Euros.

Once my lens and shutter arrive I will measure it to confirm it is 50mm then buy one of these to see if it works.

Thank you very much for this information. I remember seeing this resource in the past and thought I had bookmarked it but I hadn't. Now I have.

Looks like an SK Grimes for the European Union

David

I forgot to mention that as far as I can make out a Compur (dial set) with 44mm AND 50mm rear thread (two varieties) is a Compur II/5 model, ie. No 2 type with 5 tubes.