Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a good swirly bokeh lens that's cheap and good for a Speed Graphic?

What is a good swirly bokeh lens that's cheap and good for a Speed Graphic?

Please don't refer to my prior five years of snide comments about swirly lenses;-p

Looking for something cheap and easy to play with on a 4x5 Speed, cult $$$ lenses need not apply.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: What is a good swirly bokeh lens that's cheap and good for a Speed Graphic?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Please don't refer to my prior five years of snide comments about swirly lenses;-p
    ... ... ... ... ... te dum te dum te dum ... ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Looking for something cheap and easy to play with on a 4x5 Speed, cult $$$ lenses need not apply.
    Look at Jim Gali's pages. There's a picture called "explosion at the mattress factory" (or something like that) which he used a lens from some old projector. The Petzval design has apparently been used in a lot of places, so it's just a matter of sorting through various second-hand shops and other lens garbage bins for something, and then just trying it out.

Anything with a known name will definitely be over $100.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I think the election really messed with Frank's head.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    I think the election really messed with Frank's head.
    That, or maybe he needs an emetic.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

$100 or even $200 is cheap, I'm really lazy, what is the simple answer?

I'm dreaming of a fast, Brass, and French model with nice engraved cursive writing already expertly mounted on a black Graphic board with no fuss, no muss.

And yeah the election provided the emetic.

multiplex

frank

you might be able to find something from a junk store folder
    just remove the lens and the choke ( the fstop wafer )
    and see if it works. it might run you the price of a piece of foam core
    for your lensboard and whatever price they charge you for the junkque folder.
    ( or box camera ) ...

you don't need to shell out the $$$ ... and it will probably do the same thing.

that is if you can't find the french lens you lust for.

a B&L movie projector lens from early in this century $50 max.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

(Shrek)

Do you need an aperture? The 150mm f2.8 from a Rollei MF projector vignettes at infinity, but for portraits it's great. Of course, no aperture, and you need a hacksaw or something to remove the aluminum sleeve that covers the bulk of the lens. Or I suppose you can cut a piece of plywood and hot-glue that sucker in as-is. A lot of the other projector lenses I've tried have serious flare problems, given they have no internal flocking or even black paint. I posted an example, focused at about 20ft, in the Aero-Ektar thread a couple months ago.

Link

Oh Frank, why? I thought you were the only voice of sanity and good taste here.

It's actually a request from a subject! At least I'm not shooting plates ;-)