Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscl. Meniscii

Miscl. Meniscii

A thread for images made with a single meniscus lens whether expensive, like Portland or cheap like found in the trash as these first 2 are....

Please post your work with these hyper-personality lenses.

model a, weeping willows

model a, weeping willows ii

The lens was a rescue and is really proving to be a pleasing picture maker. It was the main optic of an old Korean war era tracking telescope where I work. A co-worker had taken it apart to clean it up after 55 years in the weather and the main optic was very hazy (still is). Since he had a NOS one in the locker he had discarded this one and when I looked at it, it was obvious that it was a meniscus like the front of a petzval. I put it in pocket and later checked it's focal length, 375mm f5. A very useful size for LF. After everyone had gone home I checked several ABS waste pipe fittings and found that it was very close to fitting into a 3 inch male adapter. I chucked the male adaper into a lathe and turned until the optic would fit nicely.

These were done yesterday afternoon with the Kodak 2D 8X10. Wide open is all she's got.

Bruce Hemingway

Re: Miscl. Meniscii

These are fresh from this week-end, on my Linhof III and CameraFusion digital back:

Maker Unknown, ~12 inch, wheel-stop removed

Underwood Meniscus ~10 inch, iris removed

Imagon 200mm, wide open, no diffusion wheel

Very Interesting - but not a surprise!

Excellent thread idea Jim! This was posted elsewhere too. 8x10 paper neg with Taylor Taylor Hobson Rapid View lens, at about F7.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    A thread for images made with a single meniscus lens whether expensive, like Portland or cheap like found in the trash as these first 2 are....These were done yesterday afternoon with the Kodak 2D 8X10. Wide open is all she's got.
    MacGyver of the Desert! With a great eye to boot. These two compositions really work for me, Jim.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

So nice! I just wonder how the ground glass viewing was when you focused... blur and glare same the results?

I took the front group of Voitgtlander Euryscop no.2 out, looked on the ground glass and saw it seam glare and blur but I couldn't focus to sharpest ability.

Quote Originally Posted by kissssss View Post
    So nice! I just wonder how the ground glass viewing was when you focused... blur and glare same the results?

I took the front group of Voitgtlander Euryscop no.2 out, looked on the ground glass and saw it seam glare and blur but I couldn't focus to sharpest ability.
    Yes, doubtless that non image forming light, or glare, is part of the formula. I always bring the focus clear in front of the object and then just let it go back in.

Quote Originally Posted by papah
    These are fresh from this week-end, on my Linhof III and CameraFusion digital back:
    Love that underwood. All are great.

Back from the holidays, so here we go:

Lancaster 340(?) without the barrel

Suter Landscape Lens

Overcame crowd shyness with 8x10 sinar... Lancaster quite closed (bright day), red filter to separate church roof from sky (and burned red tourists from beach). Collioure, France (my home).

Smile Re: Miscl. Meniscii

Stephane,
    I like how in that last one that the man is looking at you, but he is the only one who even notices you. Nice shot!

Drive train, rusted old chain and sprocket "gifted" to me by my brother-in-law from Tuscon.

8"x10" nested box camera, 150mm binocular lens stopped down to 17mm aperture, camera f.l. extended to ~310mm for effective aperture of f/19, 2 second exposure on preflashed grade 2 paper negative.

~Joe