Page 448 of 655 FirstFirst ... 348398438446447448449450458498548 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,480 of 6544

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Nope. don't use tubes with the double-sided stuff. Trust me on this. You could strip that side, but from my experience, stripped film looks terrible printed. The tones looks weak and it's grainier. I have developed using hangers, but one must be very careful inserting and pulling the film out of the hangers. Really gentle agitation... I barely pull the hanger out of solution. My favourite method is still flat-bottomed tray.

I use tanks and hangers and they work fine.

I also scratched X-Ray in the beginning and everybody told me be gentle.

I have shot X-Ray with Hasselblad, very sharp.
    Tin Can

Xray is also sharp in an Olympus OM-1 with 1.8 50mm zuiko lens, f16, 1 sec., mirror lock up, self timer. CXS green is not care stream/Kodak. Packaging is totally different. I do ektascan in trays and have done cxs green in hangers and tanks but made the tanks too small/narrow for 8x10, the film bows a bit and catches the lip of the tank and scratches. multi 5x4s' not so bad if v. careful.

Well Randy, you're just so damn rough!

New Moon – Aug 2016

210mm lens at f16
    13x18cm Agfa HDR mammography film
    Tray developed by inspection in very old Rodinal 1+100 at 22C for 7 min.
    Scan from negative, finished in PS.

Thanks, all, for your replies. I'm starting to think that me and x-ray film just don't get along very well.

@Andrew - I've tried single sheet tray processing with regular 8x10 film when using staining developers--mostly ABC Pyro--and I've never been satisfied with the results; basically, uneven development was the primary issue. And, I rocked the tray for 12 out of every 15 secs moving counter-clockwise around the tray on each corner. Therefore, it was pretty much continuous agitation. Still...not great. Using the shuffle method--4 to 6 sheets in stack--provides much better results. But, I can't see even trying that technique with double-sided x-ray film; I'm guessing I'd have a lot of scratches no matter the method of handling the stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Thanks, all, for your replies. I'm starting to think that me and x-ray film just don't get along very well.

@Andrew - I've tried single sheet tray processing with regular 8x10 film when using staining developers--mostly ABC Pyro--and I've never been satisfied with the results; basically, uneven development was the primary issue. And, I rocked the tray for 12 out of every 15 secs moving counter-clockwise around the tray on each corner. Therefore, it was pretty much continuous agitation. Still...not great. Using the shuffle method--4 to 6 sheets in stack--provides much better results. But, I can't see even trying that technique with double-sided x-ray film; I'm guessing I'd have a lot of scratches no matter the method of handling the stack.
    You need to check your agitation method in the tray. To develop a good technique fill the tray with the same amount of water as the developer you use (this may be too little if you get poor results). Put one drop of food coloring in the middle of the tray then agitate in your normal manner. If the color spread evenly you have a good technique, if not, try other methods until you get good results.
    I used to have student do this as I watched andthey were usually amazed to discover they were really agitating very little.

Weird. I always get even development using flat-bottomed trays for either types of xray films... 1 litre of solution in an 8x10 tray. I only agitate north, south, east, west once every minute... the first minute is constant agitation. It's important that all of the developer moves over the film, so slightly vigorous movement of the tray is works best for me. Too gentle, then mottling may occur. Too vigorous, then excessive contrast or worse, scuffing/scratching.

Thanks, Andrew. I will try your technique next. If that doesn't work out for me, then I'm afraid x-ray film is not going to be part of my repertoire.

I almost gave up on the stuff when I first started using it back in 08. You'll figure it out!