Thread: Mamiya Super 23 Focusing Screen Holder

Mamiya Super 23 Focusing Screen Holder

I've just bought a Mamiya Super 23. It doesn't come with the ground glass back.

There're several pop up on ebay say "Mamiya Press Focusing Screen Holder". I asked the sellers if it fits my Super 23, but they just picked them up from estate sales and don't have knowledge about it.

So my question is simple --- Does it fit my Super 23?

Re: Mamiya Super 23 Focusing Screen Holder

It might. And if it does not, you will be able to sell it at a profit if you bought it for the price of a M type sheet film back.

That is, there are some three or four M type ground glass backs, plus a rare one for the Universal's Polaroid option. The latter sells for three or four times the price and is discernible by being bigger, attaches to the Universal exchangeable back frame and is entirely collapsible with a leather(ette) fold out hood, while the M one is a smaller soapboxy thing with a lid and about one centimetre or two of solid wall around the GG.

The best of the M type backs are prepared to fit a accessory chimney hood (like the RB thing) or reflex mirror hood - but you usually will only find them with one or the other attached.

Louie,

You can download the manual from Butkus.com. It has pretty thorough illustrations and might help you determine which ones fit.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Well, I can only find three on ebay US. All would fit, but the two BIN ones are overpriced for backs without sheet film holders, the more expensive one outrageously so for a bare holder ($129 will usually buy you a back with six film holders whenever these come up for auction).

Thank you, you guys are fast.

Sevo: I think the one I'm watching should fit my Super 23. It's a thin one with a cover. Very simple design.

lenser: I already printed the manual from Butkus.com before the Super 23 arrived at my office last week. But it doesn't tell which one's which.

I've seen several listings that the holder comes with a darkslide. What is it for on the ground glass back? But anyway my 6x9 film roll back came without the darkslide, I'd love to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    Well, I can only find three on ebay US. All would fit, but the two BIN ones are overpriced for backs without sheet film holders, the more expensive one outrageously so for a bare holder ($129 will usually buy you a back with six film holders whenever these come up for auction).
    That's great, thank you so much.

Agree. Although I don't know much about the prices, I won't pay $129 for a back.