Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x10

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

4x10

I love the format.

I wonder how many members are shooting in this format. The idea is to share resources, film, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 4x10

I haven't shot much of it, because I only just recently acquired what I can only call a 4x10 Reduction Holder - a 4x10 film holder made to fit an 8x10 back. I was told (and it looks like) it was made by Chamonix, but they make no mention of such a thing on their site.

As an add-on panoramic solution while shooting 8x10, it works great. My issue with shooting any kind of panoramic format is whether or not the images I find correspond to that ratio - so it's nice to have options, rather than a dedicated camera. Similarly, I tend to take my 6x12 back for my 4x5 more often than shooting my dedicated 6x17 back.

Here's the only image I've really made with it so far, but with spring finally hitting, I'll probably shoot more soon. Taken with a 90mm XL:

Also, my next project is to give the 72mm XL a try and see if it covers. These wide angles are impossible to use with the "split darkslide" approach due to offset of the image on the film.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I enjoy it -- it is a wonderful break from 4x5/5x7/11x14 proportions (I just developed a nice 5.5x14 negative, too!)

I use a modified darkslide that weighs little so I can easily stash it in the pack with my 8x10 holders.

Branches is with a Fuji W250/6.7 lens on FP4+ (F64 for 30 minutes), carbon print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BranchesTrinidadSP.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Nice image Vaughn. There's a thicket of laurels up on the Appalachian Trail I haven't quite nailed an image of, and that reminds me I need to go try again.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I enjoy it -- it is a wonderful break from 4x5/5x7/11x14 proportions (I just developed a nice 5.5x14 negative, too!)

I use a modified darkslide that weighs little so I can easily stash it in the pack with my 8x10 holders.

Branches is with a Fuji W250/6.7 lens on FP4+ (F64 for 30 minutes), carbon print
    That’s a wonderful image!

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

4x10

I remember trying a cut 2X5 with a 4x5 camera.

Nowadays I’m happy enough with the 4x10 camera.

Shooting mostly aerial. Probably a pain in the enlarger but it scans beautifully in the drum.

I wonder how many members are shooting native 4x10.

I used to shoot two on 8x10 with a cut darkslide. I wish I could find that darkslide...

I find an internal masking panel on 8x10 is working for me when I want the format. Not often, but nice to have for the cost of the weight of a plywood panel. But the amount of rise needed to center a short lens means the bellows gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    ...I wonder how many members are shooting native 4x10?
    My ancesters are all from Europe. Or do you mean a dedicated 4x10 camera?

Mill Creek, 2014
    Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, CA
    4x10 carbon print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MillCr2017.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Can regular8x10 film holders be modified for 4x10? I seem to recall that being done. I have a used holder that I bought from B&H a few years back that I don't use that could be dedicated to that.

Thomas