Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rodagon-G 360 for enlarging 5x7 12 times

Drew Wiley

Re: Rodagon-G 360 for enlarging 5x7 12 times

I have no reason to doubt that the German equivalents are excellent too, but you're still talking about high-end graphics lenses made to higher standards than ordinary taking or enlarging lenses. But price-wise, unless you're talking custom mfg for astronomical, aerospace, or survalliance use, Apo El Nikkors are undeniably the top of the food chain. Everybody knows that, and almost nobody can afford it, esp since they're now no longer made except in fixed aperture, and were recently in high demand for specialized high-end art scanning cameras. But methinks there's a little bit of uninformed sheer bias on your behalf, without any actual experience involved. I use BOTH German and Japanese top-end optics in the lab on a routine basis. But no foul, no harm. Get the job done with whatever you prefer. Yet it reminds me of people who are prejudiced against Fuji LF optics, even though they're one of biggest and most advanced pro lens manufacturers in the world. Nikon itself is a huge player in medical imaging and machine optics. Don't confuse their name with just consumer snapshot equipment and digi 35mm. They have a real industrial footprint too, just like Fuji dominates a big segment of TV and pro video imaging with some very pricey lens options. If you want something even better, it can be custom made just 5 minutes up the highway from me; just bring along your NASA or NSA credit card, without a credit limit !

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I have no reason to doubt that the German equivalents are excellent too, but you're still talking about high-end graphics lenses made to higher standards than ordinary taking or enlarging lenses. But price-wise, unless you're talking custom mfg for astronomical, aerospace, or survalliance use, Apo El Nikkors are undeniably the top of the food chain. Everybody knows that, and almost nobody can afford it, esp since they're now no longer made except in fixed aperture, and were recently in high demand for specialized high-end art scanning cameras. But methinks there's a little bit of uninformed sheer bias on your behalf, without any actual experience involved. I use BOTH German and Japanese top-end optics in the lab on a routine basis. But no foul, no harm. Get the job done with whatever you prefer. Yet it reminds me of people who are prejudiced against Fuji LF optics, even though they're one of biggest and most advanced pro lens manufacturers in the world. Nikon itself is a huge player in medical imaging and machine optics. Don't confuse their name with just consumer snapshot equipment and digi 35mm. They have a real industrial footprint too, just like Fuji dominates a big segment of TV and pro video imaging with some very pricey lens options. If you want something even better, it can be custom made just 5 minutes up the highway from me; just bring along your NASA or NSA credit card, without a credit limit !
    When did you use the S Ortho Planar? That was also a blowback lens.

Drew Wiley

I don't know what you're implying, Bob? Did that particular lens series have anything in common at all with large format applications? Of course, in serious astronomy these days, something "large" might be many miles wide, involving thousands of synchronized lens elements, based on multi-billion-dollar budgets. That's the kind of thing being made up the street, at least the specialized mirror and lens components.

Drew Wiley

If I wanted to do some fun personal Astro photog, I'd head up to some high altitude pass with my P67 300EDIF - a highly regarded lens for widefield Astro, my Nikon adapter, and my Df, or the P67 itself. But high quality results require either a vac back for paperless 220 film, or a digi P645 camera. Plus I'd have to invest in a solid clock drive support etc, which I can't afford. Just yesterday I talked to the wife of my serious Astro professor friend, who was once nominated for the Nobel prize in physics, but is now recovering from cancer treatments. Even a cricket or ant in that house would be better at math than me.