Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogmar and Eurynar.

Dogmar and Eurynar.

I have been very unmotivated to pursue my photo interest the last couple of years due to a slight depression and OCD, but now I have decided to start doing at least something before I become too comfortable in sitting and lying down. I have ordered a box of Adox CHS II 100 in 9x12 and shall mix up some Agfa 17 developer, and try out two lenses: The Goerz Dogmar 6,3/135 and Rodenstock Eurynar 4,5/135, both clean and scratch-free in Compur dial-set shutters.

I've tried the Dogmar before, on a 6,5x9 camera, and was amazed by how sharp this little lens from 1916 is, and I hope it's just as good on a 9x12.

The Eurynar I haven't used at all, but I have heard good things about it.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, but it's therapeutic I guess. Trying to come back in "the game".

I must include something to discuss: The Dogmar and Eurynar are both dialytes, but 6,3 and 4,5. Which one do you think is better?

Re: Dogmar and Eurynar.

2 different lenses? Make some comparison tests, find out, and then tell us. A good way to get back in practice. And having done that, I suspect that actual pictures will begin to appear in front of you.

Big Negs Rock!

Hang in there and enjoy the ride! I know about hitting a plateau and not moving forward, and sometimes just having a new or different piece of gear and move things enough to open a whole new world. Keep us posted and share some images.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Thank you, Mark and Mark. Yes, I plan to take test shots with both lenses to compare them, and also try find the correct time for developing the CHS II sheets in the Combiplan tank with Agfa 17 1+1. I have some Efke PL25 and Ort 25 in the freezer, but I think the 100 ASA film should be more usable for photographing children and dog this summer. I think my four year old nephew will find my big old cameras interesting.

Dave Karp

Sounds like a good project. Have fun!

Big Negs Rock!

I hope your 4 year old nephew doesn't move as much as some 4 year olds I tried to photograph not long ago. They moved in and out of the plane of focus along with moving during the exposure. I actually did get a couple of images that worked, but nothing where everyone was in focus and still. Such is the life of us old analogue Luddites. :-)
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Sounds like a good project. Have fun!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    I hope your 4 year old nephew doesn't move as much as some 4 year olds I tried to photograph not long ago. They moved in and out of the plane of focus along with moving during the exposure. I actually did get a couple of images that worked, but nothing where everyone was in focus and still. Such is the life of us old analogue Luddites. :-)
    I think it might work if I can keep him interested for a minute or two. I will have a Rolleiflex TLR as a backup camera.

I have a slightly longer Eurynar, around 165mm. As other people have said, it's a very sharp lens, however I haven't gotten anything useful from it because I use a lot of backlighting. In that context the contrast is very low. On the plus side, it was very easy to disassemble and clean, and my example was in perfect condition. But it's still rotten against the light. I have other un-coated lenses, and they're fine for that. One of these days, maybe, I'll send it out and get it coated. . .
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    I have a slightly longer Eurynar, around 165mm. As other people have said, it's a very sharp lens, however I haven't gotten anything useful from it because I use a lot of backlighting. In that context the contrast is very low. On the plus side, it was very easy to disassemble and clean, and my example was in perfect condition. But it's still rotten against the light. I have other un-coated lenses, and they're fine for that. One of these days, maybe, I'll send it out and get it coated. . .
    Yes, the eight glass-air surfaces. But they are historical lenses so they are what they are, and it's part of their charm. I have Dagor, Orthostigmat, Amatar and Iricentor lenses too, and they have much better contrast but I feel I need to stop them down more for sharpness compared to dialytes.

Here is a test shot with the Dogmar, on a 6,5x9 camera. Just a little flare:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4028/4...1d9435dd_o.jpg

Dave Karp

Nice test shot!

At four, my kids liked to look at the upside down image on the groundglass. For a few seconds anyway. :-)