Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

Re: 8x10 Tripod that Won't Break the Bank, But May Break my Back

Miller stuff is excellent. It’s a standard in motion picture gear. If you find legs that need a leveling ball head those are available in a couple sizes, the main one being 100mm. They’re made to support way bigger, heavier cameras than any8x10 so they’ll certainly do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I'm using a Gitzo G1348 with an Arca Swiss Z1-sp (no center column) for my Toyo 810MII with no problem. Great tripod that packs well.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Ries wooden tripods are a standard. Really durable. I will state that I once dropped one of my Ries off a cliff and one of the legs got split. It was easy to glue it back together using Gorilla urethane glue. But I wanted a replacement section, and even though I told Ries what I had done and didn't expect it to be under warranty, they insisted on sending me a replacement section for free anyway.

Here's my 8x10 Wisner sitting atop an old surveyor's tripod I picked up at an estate sale for $25. I spent a little time striping off the old paint and refinishing it. I use it without a head and close to the car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0282.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	199920

Quote Originally Posted by wsetser View Post
    Here's my 8x10 Wisner sitting atop an old surveyor's tripod I picked up at an estate sale for $25. I spent a little time striping off the old paint and refinishing it. I use it without a head and close to the car.

Name:	SANY0282.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	199920
    I always see someone saying "get an old surveyor" tripod but I can't figure out for the life of me how you guys attach a camera to the top of that thing. It can't be a 1/4-20 right?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    I always see someone saying "get an old surveyor" tripod but I can't figure out for the life of me how you guys attach a camera to the top of that thing. It can't be a 1/4-20 right?
    I don’t think they are but it’s a pretty simple feat of ingenuity to cap it so there’s a 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 sticking out the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

...I can't figure out for the life of me how you guys attach a camera to the top of that thing. It can't be a 1/4-20 right?
    I'm in the same situation and spent way too much time today researching how others have attached cameras onto these surveyor transit tripods. Most of the posts I found were way over engineered. This post from largeformatphotography.info seemed to be the most sensible.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...od-conversion/

However, the simplest solution seems to be to swap out the 5/8" x 11 "Flat Head Bell Housing" with a 1/4" x 20 eyebolt, add some nuts and washers to keep it in place.

By the way, you don't need to search the antique shops to find a deal on one of these tripods. Seems like the Bosch Aluminum Contractors Tripod BT160 is popular with the amateur astronomers and it can be bought new for less than $40.

I didn't have any problem. I attached a Manfrotto quick release adapter with hardware that was already there. I just had to get a different bolt.

Name:	DSCN0148.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	199925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0147.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	199926

Drew Wiley

The Zone VI models were just so-so wooden survey tripods which had the 5/8 thread replaced with a 3/8-16 turnknob underneath like you see standard on Ries etc tripods, or optionally a 1/4-20 turnbolt for small tripod heads or direct attachment of smaller cameras. Those aluminum Bosch tripods are utter crap. They cost about ten bucks to make (not kidding). I was one of the biggest Bosch dealers in the country and wouldn't allow any of that Chinese import nonsense in the store; after I retired, that kind of worthless wobbly thing came in.
    They were intended a freebees with toy construction lasers. If you want a bargain, get a domestic-made (not import) CST fiberglass-clad survey tripod. Bosch owns that company too; but it's still distributed under the CST Berger label. Not equal to Ries, but about a third the price ($200 range for something that will handle an 8X10). An appropriate 3/8 turnknob with phenolic handle will cost about seven bucks or so, more if you want stainless from McMaster (recommended). Also use stainless e-clips and nylon washer to capture, or rust will set in quickly. I gave my ole equivalent survey tripod to an amateur astronomer. I was out with the big Ries today - windy on a ridge above the channel, but wonderful light, so I bolted my P67 with 300EDIF right to the top platform directly (no head). If a calm day arrives, I'll take the 8x10. But another storm forecast tomorrow, so I'll probably default to a walk in the woods where it's calmer, and take my Norma 4x5, which I turn-bolt directly onto the platform of my lighter weight wooden Ries. If you absolutely must use a quick release and want an affordable strong one, the good ole Bogen/Manfrotto hexagonal one is a good choice. Perhaps the one pictured in the previous post is similarly strong, just a different shape plate.

I got one of them ancient Bogen 3050's. Yes it will break your back. But it is rock solid and cheap. Did I mention it'll break your back?

Remember those old Bogen 305x ads? They had the guy sitting on the tripods.

I figure it's not as heavy as those guys who go to the Antartica with movie gear in -200 degree weather filming cute penguins for us to watch on the BBC channel. Those guys tripods are insane.
    --